How will the Government's impasse affect launches on the GC? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 09-30-2013   #31

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbol View Post
Restrac, welcome to the intersection of politics and recreation. Unfortunately, as you point out, a lot more than just the rafting community will be hurt by this action.
Walked over that welcome mat ages ago when I first starting recreating myself and even more so as I guided. I just find it ironic when individuals choose to point fingers.....its a never ending approach that never allows for change or accountability. If everyone else is to blame, no one is to blame. And as long as that is the approach then individuals like the OP will be left to suffer. .

Just sad that we fall for the distractions. I think most of us know it at too well that this is more complex than the current narrative....but most of us, including myself, are too lazy to take the long view and the effort required to make viable changes.

I am lucky this time....just recreating on non-affected BLM lands during this possible shutdown. Alot of people are gonna be left in the dark though.

Phillip

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013   #32

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
And as I understand it......this should mean that any river managed with a federal agency entry should be off limits:
Green through Deso
Green below Flaming Gorge
Westwater
Just to name a few in Utah. I assume this means MFS, the Main, Snake through Hells Canyon as well.
Anything with an entry gate run by the feds will be closed to access....if the logic holds true.
Just glad I got my tags for woodcutting last week.
I talked to the BLM at Rand. The Rogue will not be closed. The will have self-issued permits like they do during the non permit season. Those that have already paid their $10/person are good to go. They will catch up later with those who have not prepaid their fees.
Old 09-30-2013   #33

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
So what's the worst that happens if you try to launch anyway? Misdemeanor?
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013   #34

cedar city, Utah
At the Grand? How would you get past the closed gate and law enforcement officer?
Old 09-30-2013   #35

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I could probably come up with a creative solution to the gate. The officer is another question. That's what I was asking about.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #36

cedar city, Utah
You won't get past them to the launch ramp would be my guess without the use of force, and that isn't something to remotely speculate about. But I imagine they could cite you for any number of things from trespass onward for just trying to tamper with a gate.

I would bet the gate is guarded 24/7 during the shutdown. Its a natural chokepoint to control the access.
Old 09-30-2013   #37

cedar city, Utah
Poachers won't be rafters entering at Lee's Ferry. It will be kayakers and packrafters entering through one of the side canyons in Marble Canyon down to the Little Colorado. Its happened before and will be the easiest way to do so with the current/probable closures.
Old 09-30-2013   #38
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
I could probably come up with a creative solution to the gate. The officer is another question. That's what I was asking about.
Donuts. Leave a trail leading away from the gate.

Seriously, if I had a permit for 10/1 or the week after, I'd be all over my politicians, the news outlets, and the park service. I'd emphasize the costs I had already had, and how most of it was non refundable, non recoverable, and non negotiable. I'd get the commercial outfitters and any private permit holders and we'd make such a stink they'd smell it in Washington. I wouldn't expect them to open the gates for me, but dammit, they'd know I was animated about the issue.

And on launch day I'd be at Lee's Ferry, ready to go. And it would take one damn lot more than a cop to stop me. I mean, he isn't going to shoot me, and he's gonna need more than one of him to arrest me. Or my group.

In other words, I'd become a radical. A sign toting, slogan yapping dare you to stop me radical.

Edward Abbey and the Monkey Wrench gang would have nothing on me.

Seriously.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #39

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
Donuts. Leave a trail leading away from the gate.

And on launch day I'd be at Lee's Ferry, ready to go. And it would take one damn lot more than a cop to stop me. I mean, he isn't going to shoot me, and he's gonna need more than one of him to arrest me. Or my group.

Seriously.
Doubtful, as far as anything more than the picketing. Most of us wouldn't fair well in jail.

Someone is really gonna forcefully enter the park, launch downstream with thousands of dollars worth of equipment.....even an idiot has more common sense and sense of several preservation than that. Not exactly a difficult place to apprehend someone considering the next feasible exit is 220+ miles downstream.

More posturing to that idea than the house of representatives is displaying right now. In reality, not much the average boater with a permit can do other than hope this thing is a joke and they get to launch on time. No rafting party is going to launch at Lees Ferry if this thing happens....that seems plain enough.

Internet=false bravado.

Phillip
Old 09-30-2013   #40

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Children in Washington

Planning a trip to the GC and then not being able to go would be akin to eating glass IMO. It's a lot of work and lot of anticipation to see vaporize.

I try to hold equal contempt for all politicians, but on this issue I find it difficult to see the government functioning if they only fund it 2 months at a time and one party can make up unrelated demands at will each time. The Donkeys control the Senate, why shouldn't they demand we double the FEMA and education budget or they won't vote to fund the government? The idiots in Washington are too childish to have this fight every 2 months with our paychecks at stake or they'll run us into the ground. If the tactic can't be quashed our government needs amending.
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote