Heads up, Upper Taylor fencing - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2014   #1

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Heads up, Upper Taylor fencing

Paddled the section of the Taylor above the reservoir this past Sunday, 6/1/14, at 750ish cfs. We paddled all the way to the reservoir. Very beautiful class 2/3 run especially with that much water. We encountered 3 barbed wire fences in the last couple miles. Good eddies above the first one. Walked it. The other 2 were more difficult. The last one had only one strand left on rio left and I felt it would claim a boater at slightly lower levels while not effectively restraining live stock. Acted out my Edward Abbey fantasies and liberated the rio from that one. Also would observe that at least one of the bridges will become a clearance issue with just a couple more inches of water. Its a worthy run but be alert...

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014   #2

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Paddled the section of the Taylor above the reservoir this past Sunday, 6/1/14, at 750ish cfs. We paddled all the way to the reservoir. Very beautiful class 2/3 run especially with that much water. We encountered 3 barbed wire fences in the last couple miles. Good eddies above the first one. Walked it. The other 2 were more difficult. The last one had only one strand left on rio left and I felt it would claim a boater at slightly lower levels while not effectively restraining live stock. Acted out my Edward Abbey fantasies and liberated the rio from that one. Also would observe that at least one of the bridges will become a clearance issue with just a couple more inches of water. Its a worthy run but be alert...
Hoping to get on this, this weekend.

How high did you put in? Or, put another way, with ~500cfs on the gauge, how high up do you recommend putting in?

Any beta appreciated.
Old 06-13-2014   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Put in at the bridge on Cty Rd 748 Rocky Brook/Trail Creek Road, the road that goes between Taylor Park and Spring Creek Reservoir. It's a handful of miles north of Dinner Station C.G. Theres about 15 minutes of super mellow, easy flat water (no scraping) before the "rapids".

580 is enough to still be fun. I run it down to 350 cfs. I scraped down at 275 one time and it was not good.

Also, Phil, we call this the "Taylor Park Run" to avoid confusion with the Upper Taylor commercial run lower in the canyon.....
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Thanks Yeti. I think the gauge is called that as well.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #5

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
Put in at the bridge on Cty Rd 748 Rocky Brook/Trail Creek Road, the road that goes between Taylor Park and Spring Creek Reservoir. It's a handful of miles north of Dinner Station C.G. Theres about 15 minutes of super mellow, easy flat water (no scraping) before the "rapids".

580 is enough to still be fun. I run it down to 350 cfs. I scraped down at 275 one time and it was not good.

Also, Phil, we call this the "Taylor Park Run" to avoid confusion with the Upper Taylor commercial run lower in the canyon.....
Gracias.
Old 06-13-2014   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you don't want to mess with the fences you can take out at the first one immediately above Pie Plant Cow Camp. Excellent access to a beautiful meadow/eddy....basically cuts the run in half though.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #7

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
If you don't want to mess with the fences you can take out at the first one immediately above Pie Plant Cow Camp. Excellent access to a beautiful meadow/eddy....basically cuts the run in half though.
Good idea--may do that depending on daylight and/or ambitions for the rest of the day.

In the OP, Phil made it sound like being heads-up was enough to see/eddy out/avoid the remaining fences. Also sounded like maybe there were only two left, and the first one has a great eddy so not much of a concern?
Old 06-13-2014   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
First one has a great eddy. Phil cut out the left side of the second one, but the right side of the island still had a single neck high strand that was tough to see. After the first fence is a low bridge, very soon after that is the second fence. The third one is down a mile or two. It was in the water in the center of the channel at 700 cfs, at 500 it might be a real issue, although it shouldn't be super tough to portage if necessary.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #9

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
First one has a great eddy. Phil cut out the left side of the second one, but the right side of the island still had a single neck high strand that was tough to see. After the first fence is a low bridge, very soon after that is the second fence. The third one is down a mile or two. It was in the water in the center of the channel at 700 cfs, at 500 it might be a real issue, although it shouldn't be super tough to portage if necessary.
4 fences total. First two were pretty easy to see, and were close enough together to just do one longish portage.

Third one, the neck high strand you mentioned, I didn't see until it was @ 20 feet in front of me. Moving fast right there--too late to do anything but try to limbo it while pushing it over my head. Ended up flipping, too shallow to roll up, bumpy swim.

In hindsight, I'd tell anyone doing this run to just keep walking from the first fence until they pass that third one.

Last one was ~1/4 mile up from the lake, 4-5 strands of rusty barbed wire right at water level.

Feels so fooked that they can string wire across a river, then leave it untended and unmarked (more or less) in perpetuity.

Beautiful scenery and the upper bouldery stuff was fun, but the fences removed the overall enjoyment of that stretch for me.

Redemption came with a sunset blast down the Upper. So fun at this level.

Thanks to all, for all the beta.

MC
Old 06-16-2014   #10

albuquerque, New Mexico
bigscottone is offline   Reply With Quote