Green River Lodore - Searchers Recover Body of Missing Rafter - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 06-22-2015   #1
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Green River Lodore - Searchers Recover Body of Missing Rafter

Searchers Recover Body of Missing Rafter - Dinosaur National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015   #2

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
This is the second hard lesson this year about properly wearing a pfd. Always make sure they are in good working condition and installed properly before getting in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
CaptBiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Based on media reports, it appears this drowning was the result of some sort of entrapment, not the result of a lost PFD. If you look at 0:15" in this video, you can see it's not a place you would want to swim:

I know I'll be paying close attention here next time I run Lodore.
dbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarrett View Post
Based on media reports, it appears this drowning was the result of some sort of entrapment, not the result of a lost PFD.
Can you post links to those reports? I've been wondering about the entrapment vs. PFD question and didn't know there was more detail than posted here.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
From the NPS press release "was briefly spotted in the water below the birth canal before he disappeared. Members of the group reported that he appeared to be stuck. The rafting party observed that his personal flotation device (PFD) and one shoe popped to the surface where he was last seen."

That sure sounds like a foot entrapment to me. You get tired / pass out, your body folds forward, your arms flop up, and your PFD slowly works it's way over your head. No matter how well adjusted, they don't stay on in that position.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
So help me figure this out. My only Lodore trip was years ago but we're going again soon. The birth canal slot appears to be, from this video, and some other info on Google, a run down the right side which is not the main run? Thx.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thoughts and prayers out to all of his family and friends.
mervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #8
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
So help me figure this out. My only Lodore trip was years ago but we're going again soon. The birth canal slot appears to be, from this video, and some other info on Google, a run down the right side which is not the main run? Thx.
I guided this section but never heard the run called "the birth canal". It appears to be a right side run through the rocks that make op the "triplets". The water level is about twice the normal dam release and I suspect this run is rarely available. I have personally only ever run the gates one time at flows above 1000 cfs and it was significantly higher than the video or info from the accident, I wanted to be well clear of the triplets at that level.

Be wise folks:blacksidedown:

Is the passenger in the video JZ?
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #9
ric

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Eye of The Needle....

That's what we always called it, Have plenty of stories, RR just as you make the move to get left... river bends left there also... seen some scary stuff there in the 80's....
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #10

steamboat springs, Colorado
The mayor of Craig, CO lost his wife in Triplet falls about six years ago. That rapid is more dangerous than it appears.
3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote