Grand Canyon Sunday? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-10-2015   #1

Steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Grand Canyon Sunday?

We're supposed to put on Sunday the 16th. We called the river office today and the guy had no information about Animas contaminated water coming through. I'm trying to remain positive but were supposed to be drinking this stuff for 18 days...

There seems to be no reasonably scientific information available yet as to how much water will reach the other side of the dam by next week, and how dilluted it could be.

Internet.... please help!

mcphats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015   #2

parowan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
i think your ok... it would have to travel 186 miles in a lake...no current... then it would have to make it to the bottom of the lake...i think 600'...to continue its journey on the Colorado. may contact commercial companies that take customers down Cataract Canyon.... and that Grand Canyon...they will know whats happening for sure!!!! enjoy your trip ... we put in sept 9
johnnyvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
It will be a while before Grand Canyon sees significant impact, as the reservoir will certainly act as the solution cited in the old adage.

Not to say the heavy metals won't make it through in dissolved form, but there's a great reason for another science trip! I'm available if anyone needs an oarsmen/water scientist.

You will be fine and you will have plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons of the EPA wanting to come to town.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
I agree with McPhats, I think a random meteor is more likely to affect your GC trip launching in August than the Animas Spill.

I am a little concerned about my September 7 launch date at Mexican Hat though, there's a lot less lake to deposit said sediment and if the river is closed in Durango now, would we be expecting dilution and sedimentation to be dropping contaminate levels sufficiently to keep running the San Juan?
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #5

Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Probably won't have much make it through to the end of Powell for a good while. Besides, you're filtering water from the side streams, not the Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
rockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #6

Vail, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmonkey View Post
Probably won't have much make it through to the end of Powell for a good while. Besides, you're filtering water from the side streams, not the Colorado.

Ya if you're drinking Colorado river water on the grand you have bigger issues than some heavy metals. Fill up at the side streams and this is a non issue
RichardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #7

Louisville, Colorado
Even if the spill does make it through Lake Powell for your trip, it will be so dilute it would be imperceptible to you.

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #8
PawPaw

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvelvet View Post
i think your ok... it would have to travel 186 miles in a lake...no current... then it would have to make it to the bottom of the lake...i think 600'...to continue its journey on the Colorado. may contact commercial companies that take customers down Cataract Canyon.... and that Grand Canyon...they will know whats happening for sure!!!! enjoy your trip ... we put in sept 9

Hey I'm launching the 9th too. I will be working a commercial. You?

Old 08-10-2015   #9

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Collect from side canyon sources.
https://rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Where_to_Find_Water
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #10

parowan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
private... see you at the put in.....
johnnyvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote