Grand Canyon 2020 Permit Covid option - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2020   #1
 
Fort Collins, Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 354
Grand Canyon 2020 Permit Covid option

Presumably anyone this directly pertains to already knows, but this was sent to our trip leader for a Summer 2020 launch we have/had scheduled.

Forwarded Message to permit holders:

Dear -------,

We understand planning for your upcoming noncommercial river trip may feel extremely challenging due to the fact that much is unknown. Like you, we in the River Office do not know when Grand Canyon National Park will re-open, we do not know when it will once again be safe to travel, and we do not know when river trips will once again be allowed to launch. And we can imagine some who have upcoming trips might be wishing their launch date was for a different year with no pandemic and its related unknowns. Good news - you can have this option.

First, though, let me be clear. Grand Canyon National Park has NOT as of yet ordered cancellation of any noncommercial river trips beyond May 20, 2020. You are free to keep your river permit at this time and not cancel. If this is your choice, your permit will remain in force and be cancelled only if the park's river closure is extended to include your trip. If you wish to keep your permit, we do not need anything from you at this time. You are not giving up anything either -- if the park remains closed and your permit has to be cancelled, you will receive the same cancellation benefits. We are just offering them early to those who are ready to make other plans.

So here is the offer. If you are interested in having your 2020 noncommercial river trip cancelled (scheduled launch date: ##/##/ 2020) and replaced with a trip for the exact same launch date in 2022 (rescheduled launch date: ##/##/2022), please let us know right away. Note that we have picked 2022 for your replacement permit because it is the first year that has not been scheduled and therefore has openings. There are two additional, special benefits that come along with choosing this option. First, if you have paid any of our participant charges by credit card, we will refund those payments as they will not be due until 90 days before the new launch. Second, anyone you have already listed in our noncommercial river permit system as a participant on your cancelled 2020 launch will be considered a Potential Alternate Trip Leader (PATL) for your replacement launch in 2022, as long as they had just as many points or more than you and they did not apply in the same lottery that you won. Before asking us to cancel your trip, please fill out your trip participant list (online in the noncommercial river permit system) to the best of your knowledge so that we will have a record of your PATL's.

Finally, if you choose the 2022 date, but are willing to accept the same launch date in 2021 instead should it become available due to a cancellation, please send us an email ([email protected]) and explain this interest. Also, in that email, let us know how late you are willing to accept the launch. For instance, you can tell us that you will automatically accept a 2021 launch if we send you a notification at least 90 days before the launch. (90 days before launch is when most cancellations occur)

Please note that while we will be working as quickly as we can, it will take us time to complete everything. We are also short staffed and juggling other COVID-19 restrictions. Thanks for your patience!

almortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2020   #2
MCSQRD
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
So if you applied for the 2021 Lottery and didn't get a date and were hoping to pick up a cancellation in the 2021 follow up lotteries, priority goes to 2020 canceled trips?
MCSQRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020   #3
 
Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSQRD View Post
So if you applied for the 2021 Lottery and didn't get a date and were hoping to pick up a cancellation in the 2021 follow up lotteries, priority goes to 2020 canceled trips?
That's how we read it. So we accept the offer of the date in '22 but might get on in '21 if our date comes up as cancellation.
wshutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-24-2020   #4
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 776
Wow, Steve Sullivan and the rest of the guys in the river permit office are really doing a great job to get folks on the water..

Kudo's for making a fu*ked up situation as painless as possible..

I wonder if they would let you trade your 22 date for a 21 cancellation that wasn't the same date as your launch?
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.