east fork of south fork salmon Blockage - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2014   #1

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
east fork of south fork salmon Blockage

Snow Slides around Yellow Pine Idaho - Midas Gold | Midas Gold

several snow slides near flight simulator on the east fork of the south fork near yellow pine have put a lot of trees in the river.. I saw an updated picture of these slides last night of facebook but cant find it now.. A lot of debris in the river.. I am not that familiar with this stretch of river but thought I would through it out there..

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014   #2

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
It's Idaho. There are always new trees in the river in the spring. Some are just more recent than others
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #3

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm aware that logs get in the water.. not all render it impassable as the five slides on the efsf have.. here is a pic cascade outfitters posted along with their warning..

Attachment 7985
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
This could be a really big bummer. I saw a picture that looked like the first RL in flight sim, after the entrance, it looked much worse than this. Come on baby FLUSH!

That article is about Stibnite rd, going up to the mine from yellopine. While some of that portion of the efsf is fun, it is not the main run. But I did read on the n Idaho whitewater Facebook group that the main run has 5 blockages, flight simulator to dead man.
Old 03-28-2014   #5

fort collinsco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
on behalf of CO boaters sorry for above idiots post. Good to see paddlers warning others about danger.... I think we lost the village idiot
dweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #6

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Idiot speaking here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweiss View Post
on behalf of CO boaters sorry for above idiots post. Good to see paddlers warning others about danger.... I think we lost the village idiot
A) Run off hasn't started yet when it does many of the logs will shift, possibly creating a less obvious hazard down stream.
B) This is a roadside run and easy to scout
C) When in doubt scout
D) Every river I've run in Idaho has logs to deal with. These are wild rivers and logs are part of the experience.
E) Just because boaters 1,2,and 3 are able to run the drop does not mean you have the skill sets. Each boater must be able to evaluate the hazards, their skills, and if they feel good about running that drop on that day at that time. Deciding to put the boat on your shoulder and take a walk is all part of kayaking and running white water. Note all of the above applies to raters too.
F) If you want safe stay on groomed rivers, play parks or golf courses.

Boat smart, be safe, and remember it's ok to portage.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #7

student
Logs are part of the game, but from the pictures this looks more along the line of the canyon creek situation a few years ago or the truss in more recent years. Those became nearly unrunnable after log problems
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote