Eagle river: 2017 Safety Alerts - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2017   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Eagle river: 2017 Safety Alerts

The is a large tree in the river above the Edwards access bridge in the eagle river. It was about 1/4 mile upstream yesterday from where it currently sits and is easily avoidable on river right as you approach the bridge. Be safe out there as rising levels increases the movement of these obstacles.

Feelings are just visitors. Let them come and go.

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Don't know that it's worth creating a new thread, but there is a nearly river wide tree down in the Minturn stretch of the Eagle. If I remember right it was a short distance below the confluence with Cross Creek. It snuck up on us pretty quick and was in the middle of a solid class III rapid. It was fairly difficult to avoid, but there is a line around it on the left. It's new. Still had green pine needles and smelled like freshly exposed wood.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Guys,

Hope y'all don't mind but I just changed the name of this thread so it's now the Eagle River alerts thread.

Aman - Welcome to the Buzz and thanks for posting the wood report. Logan, thanks for the report. No telling what's going to happen with this wood once the thaw hits up high.

Anyone else got any safety alerts from the headwaters down to Dotsero? Please add to this thread.

Be safe out there.

Thanks,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017   #4

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
This tree is located in the stretch of river along the Bone Yard area of Minturn.
timberline1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline1971 View Post
This tree is located in the stretch of river along the Bone Yard area of Minturn.
The bone yard is the perfect name for the top mile or so, we ran it at a solid 500 in town and it was Bonney fast moving water for what felt like a mile.

Any idea what names they have for the rapids?

We had a blast, super fun section, not much write up in the guide books. Felt more like class 3 than the 2+ it said in the guide.

Can't wait to go back next week when it's higher still.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline1971 View Post
Which means what exactly? I have ran this stretch a half dozen times or more but have never been told a name for anything, does that refer to the manky shallows above Cross Creek? Is that upper park called the "Bone Yard"? I couldn't remember exactly where that tree was.... any information your willing to provide is appreciated.
Old 05-17-2017   #7

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
lmyers I believe the tree that timberline1979 is referencing is below the cross creek confluence, and below The bone yard. The bone yard is a open space that the town of minturn has recently put some work into, the bone yard is down stream from cross creek. The "strainer" in question is a full size pine stretching from the river right bank. It has been there for at least 3 seasons now, hasn't budged, and is easily avoided by running a 2 boat channel on river left of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017   #8

Vail, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Don't know that it's worth creating a new thread, but there is a nearly river wide tree down in the Minturn stretch of the Eagle. If I remember right it was a short distance below the confluence with Cross Creek. It snuck up on us pretty quick and was in the middle of a solid class III rapid. It was fairly difficult to avoid, but there is a line around it on the left. It's new. Still had green pine needles and smelled like freshly exposed wood.

I ran the town run today and second this post. It's nearly riverwide with the only option being river left. Far far river left. We were in a mini me and had to use the rocks on the left of the tree to our advantage. At the level it was today (3ft on dowd chute) it's a tight move. If anyone is down to try and remove it tomorrow 5/18 I will help. It's in the area of the bone yard rec area.

Rkysp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa9543 View Post
lmyers I believe the tree that timberline1979 is referencing is below the cross creek confluence, and below The bone yard. The bone yard is a open space that the town of minturn has recently put some work into, the bone yard is down stream from cross creek. The "strainer" in question is a full size pine stretching from the river right bank. It has been there for at least 3 seasons now, hasn't budged, and is easily avoided by running a 2 boat channel on river left of it.

I'm almost positive it's new. I remember wood last year and this tree wasn't present. It smelled like fresh cut wood and had green pine needles. If it had been there for any period of time the needles would have turned brown and fallen off.

At 500 on the Minturn gauge it was a tight move and came up quick. Would be nice if someone could put a saw to it....
Old 05-18-2017   #10

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Yes you are correct it is new. I was thrown off by the bone yard reference and didn't read the post about the green needles. I live nearby, I'll see what I can do.

Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote