Drone assists in river rescue - CNN Video

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015   #2
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
some cool shots i guess. shoulda held onto that tube!!!
i like to think that if i can tube something, i can swim it. just for kicks, or to go help someone stuck on a rock. why call the po-po for something i can probly get done with a quick swim

i do like the angle of them drone shots tho

i wonder if i can fly a drone to take pics of the custies whilst steering the boat down this class 2 shit??...
sounds like a fun experiment!! surely someone's tried it already, right???

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
How about throwing him a line and swinging him to shore? This rescue doesn't make any sense.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015   #4

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervibe View Post
How about throwing him a line and swinging him to shore? This rescue doesn't make any sense.
The kid is sitting on a rock with a now delivered PFD. He doesn't appear to be injured or in distress. There is nothing on fire and no reason to not formulate the safest plan weighing the risks vs benefits. I understand what you are saying about "just get him off that rock easily and as soon as possible". But why take the chance of putting him back in the water if you don't have to? At that point the scene is stable. What if you throw him your rope and tell him to jump in and he can't hold on while he's in the water? Then throw him a second line, but what if he can't hold on to that one?

To you it may look like a frustratingly slow rescue is taking place. To these guys they are looking at a stable scene and performing an extrication as safely as possible, which certainly does add complexity and time to the operation, but also diminishes most risk to the victem.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
That was quite the daring rescue scenario. Thank God the drone was there.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I was thinking the same thing about all of the other ways they could have gotten them off the rock, but it looked like a good place to test out the drone in a real world case. At some point that drone could be used in a much more critical rescue and they will have a little more flight time and knowledge of its capabilities.
Old 07-04-2015   #7

pnw, Washington
Quote:
ditto
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
The kid is sitting on a rock with a now delivered PFD. He doesn't appear to be injured or in distress. There is nothing on fire and no reason to not formulate the safest plan weighing the risks vs benefits. I understand what you are saying about "just get him off that rock easily and as soon as possible". But why take the chance of putting him back in the water if you don't have to? At that point the scene is stable. What if you throw him your rope and tell him to jump in and he can't hold on while he's in the water? Then throw him a second line, but what if he can't hold on to that one?

To you it may look like a frustratingly slow rescue is taking place. To these guys they are looking at a stable scene and performing an extrication as safely as possible, which certainly does add complexity and time to the operation, but also diminishes most risk to the victem.
While I certainly appreciate that point of view (I am a very safety concerned person) I also know that the scene can become exponentially more hazardous to any or all persons involved with each line strung across the river. I fully agree that such an approach is entirely appropriate in some situations. However, from looking at this scene, it looks to be low water that isn't moving very fast or steep. To me, the added time and hazard of making such a scene more complex than it needs to be probably isn't worth the risk, or time. I say time because without appropriate river gear, the subject could quickly be facing hypothermia.

All that said, any way of getting a pfd to a person in need is a huge win.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #9

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
...i wonder if i can fly a drone to take pics of the custies whilst steering the boat down this class 2 shit??...
sounds like a fun experiment!! surely someone's tried it already, right???
ACtually, you can now. They make drones with a wearable device so it follows you wherever you go!
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #10

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
If
Quote:
While I certainly appreciate that point of view (I am a very safety concerned person) I also know that the scene can become exponentially more hazardous to any or all persons involved with each line strung across the river. I fully agree that such an approach is entirely appropriate in some situations. However, from looking at this scene, it looks to be low water that isn't moving very fast or steep. To me, the added time and hazard of making such a scene more complex than it needs to be probably isn't worth the risk, or time. I say time because without appropriate river gear, the subject could quickly be facing hypothermia.

All that said, any way of getting a pfd to a person in need is a huge win.
Yep. And that is the difference in thought process for kayak and rafter types vs how a SRT team approaches something like this. If this was a river trip and he was a customer, sure throw him a rope and get him to shore so you can continue with the trip or get them with another raft. It'd probably work 99 out of 100 times. If this is your kayak buddy you're going to tell him to sack up and swim to shore.

But these guys were tubers. I know nothing about this river but I bet that it is a mostly mellow run above and these kids probably didn't know what to expect when this rapid caught them off guard. They're already potentially cold, wet, and scared. And who knows if they can even help themselves. If simply throwing them a rope fails then the rescuers have just made the problem worse. The SRT team is not going to ask the victims to voluntarily get back in the water. To them those consequences could make the scene more complicated and dangerous then stretching a system across the river. That is why SRT team evaluates risks vs benefits differently. (Either that or maybe they're just a bunch of rescue dorks that want a chance to play with their toys).
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote