Dotsero Update - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2012   #1

Dotsero Update

CDOT will be closing the Dotsero take out on the Colorado on September 10 to start bridge construction, which is the same day Eagle County Open Space will be opening the Dotsero Landing site just upstream, located off Cotton Lane.

We have built a new concrete boat launch, established a new parking lot, and installed restrooms. However, we will not be providing trash service and there is no water on site, so please pack out trash and bring your own liquid refreshment (rarely a problem for most boaters).

We will be adding signage and other bells and whistles in the coming weeks and months. A $3 per vehicle fee will be charged. Enjoy!

Toby Sprunk
Eagle County Open Space Director

tsprunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012   #2

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for the update and another great ramp! Is the Dotsero ramp river right just upstream of the old take out on river left that was under the bridge?
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Are there any plans to repair the lyons gulch access site? That put in/takeout is pretty extreme now after the flash flood
jvwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012   #4

The new take out is upriver from the bridge on river left, just go left at the island and you can't miss it. If you go under the bridge you have gone too far.

Lyons Gulch is a BLM site, so it isn't managed by Eagle County Open Space. I have noticed the damage there, that July storm really clobbered that place. If you want more information I would suggest calling Kim Miller or Greg Wolfgang with the BLM at 970-876-9000.

Happy floating!
Old 09-05-2012   #5
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
How much further is the Dotsero take out from Lyons Gulch? Sorry to jack the thread.
Old 09-05-2012   #6

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I called BLM to inquire about the possibility of repairs at Lyons Gulch. They said they are out of money and don't anticipate any repairs done this year.
The new take out is nice but wait to go on that side of the island until it opens. We were a bit surprised by the floating barrier across the river.......still able to go over it just took us by surprise.
billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #7

Yep, the baffles should be removed before Monday the 10th when we open the new site.

To be clear about the location, cause there seems to be some confusion from an earlier post: the new Dotsero Landing take out is just upstream from the US Hwy 6 bridge on river left. When floating downstream boaters will need to take the narrow channel on the left side of the river, this will take you to the launch area. If you stay in the main channel you will miss the take out and go under the bridge, DONT GO UNDER THE BRIDGE.

If anyone is unclear on this I would suggest inspecting the site before floating. Turn right on Cotton Lane off US Hwy 6, right before the river and you can't miss it. Please feel free to call me if you have any other questions. 970-471-6776

Toby Sprunk
Old 09-05-2012   #8

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Dotsero take-out

What are the plans to protect the private property owners on Cotton Lane?
The county is introducing a large volume of people on a privately maintained road and into their private property. How do you protect our privacy?
Televail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #9

This issue probably requires a conversation, rather than writing back and forth endlessly. I would be happy to discuss the matter with you and listen to your concerns, feel free to call me tomorrow (Thursday), I should be in the office all day. (970-471-6776 or 970-328-869.

Toby Sprunk
Old 09-05-2012   #10

oops, 970-328-8698