Dolores River Blockage - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Cdale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Dolores River Blockage

We arrived at the Bradfield Bridge put-in on Sunday 6/16 and was told the river was totally blocked by a downed tree 3 miles below Snaggletooth. A sign at the put-in by the Dolores County Sheriff's Office said it was impassible and "a portage would be necessary and safety a prime concern".

We took our chances and ran Snaggletooth on Tuesday the 18th.

BAD INFORMATION was passed onto the sheriff's office!!!!!!!!! The so called down tree was about 1/2 mile below Sanaggletooth and came out at most 30 feet from the right hand bank with a cataraft wedged underneath. There was no issue passing by it! We did not find any other blockage down stream!

Don’t ask me how this cataract got stuck under the tree. It made no sense whatsoever. Must have been some extenuating circumstances!

If running the Dolores have fun!

rtwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the update, was wondering about that tree.
powrider686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Ridgway, Colorado
I think that the "extenuating circumstance" was sucking at rowing. Same cat was pinned in Snag just prior.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Cdale, Colorado
Well ......we were having a big laugh at our campfire that night about how this could possibly happen........but heard that he had a swimmer in Snag that caused him to hit the tree!!!!!! We certainly questioned that!
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
My buddy with the BLM went down Monday to see if it was as bad as reported, hopefully he’ll post the picture he took. He talked to the guy who gave the same story that rtwalker said. Still doesn’t make a ton of sense. And also either the swimmer of the rower actually got pulled under the tree and was washed free luckily. Could have been a lot worse.
b.pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Does that ponderosa have green needles on it. If not it seems to me it was there in 17. Not a new hazard as I recall and I might add it was easily missed.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Cdale, Colorado
No........the tree was totally dead and looked to be missing most of the top portion!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Denver, Colorado
We put in the 14th (6/14), and I recall seeing a giant (30+ ft) dead ponderosa on the river right ready to fall into the river. If it's same one, I'm happy it didn't fall across the river, because that would be a definite blockage.

Don't have any pics unfortunately.
JFOinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Denver, Colorado
Now that I think further, the flow was at 3400 that weekend (friday/saturday) and decreased to the 2000s Sunday. Maybe that is how the cat got stuck.
JFOinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
That tree was there in '17 it was newly fallen then as it had green needles on it. in between Island and the Wall river right. Plenty of boats that flip in Snag are still roaming free that far downriver so I hope there was no one in the cat when it got there! Happy boating!
jborof is offline   Reply With Quote