Originally Posted by blueotter
So I'm curious why Westwater is closed, but Ruby Horsethief is not.
Would it be cuz there's more chance to F up in WW and need a rescue?
Ruby is in Colorado and Westwater is in Utah. They are managed by different offices in different states so they are under different orders. Utah, and especially the Moab area, are being much stricter about health orders and such.
At the end of the day BLM land as a whole is managed federally...but each management area makes its own decisions... the Moab BLM office has decided to mirror the state health orders... but the Price, Vernal and McKinnis National Conservation Area that Ruby falls within (and who's offices reside in Grand Junctionm CO) have decided to remain open while urging people to take precautionary actions and take local and state level restrictions into consideration when planning trips.
IMHO, we are closer to stay at home and other health orders being relaxed then we are to them staying for longer...so closing things now is a bit of "too little too late" if they were gonna do it and its better to just stay the course they have been on. My gut feeling, which I'll admit could be wrong, is that we'll start to see a lot of restrictions loosened starting in May and that, pending what happens, most of the restrictions will be gone by June. That is the hope at least... but it will be largely down to what happens as things relax and if there is a resurgence of cases when that happens.