Deso - SE Utah Board of Health restrictions - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2020   #21
 
breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 29
FYI my May 5th Ladore trip just got cancelled so not sure why Deso is still a go? anyway they are giving me the same date next year so just gonna roll with it.

mdt67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2020   #22
 
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 183
Better then a kick in the teeth. So no permits and lotteries next year as all this years get used next year. Basically a lost season. And frankly I have a GC launch next year, so I may lose my Salmon chance as that is too much for one year for us.
DidNotWinLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020   #23
 
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1984
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
May 5th, canceled trip

That's interesting that Lodore would shut down. I wonder if it has to do with crossing state lines.
Andy Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2020   #24
 
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1984
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
I'm on a Grand trip that's supposed to launch on July 3rd. My guess, that trip will be cancelled. I've heard rumors, and only rumens, that the Park Service will offer dates that usually go out in the follow up lotteries.
Andy Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020   #25
 
caverdan's Avatar
 
C. Springs, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hoffmann View Post
That's interesting that Lodore would shut down. I wonder if it has to do with crossing state lines.
Ladore is in a national park. Deso is BLM.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020   #26
 
breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 29
That makes sense since Dino is a park but then why is Westwater closed down? Anyway will see what May brings there.
mdt67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020   #27
 
Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
 
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hoffmann View Post
I'm on a Grand trip that's supposed to launch on July 3rd. My guess, that trip will be cancelled. I've heard rumors, and only rumens, that the Park Service will offer dates that usually go out in the follow up lotteries.
The people who had their permits cancelled from March 24th through May 21st had a couple options. They already ran the 2021 lottery...so they couldn't just give them the slot next year so they said they could take the same date in 2022 or they can wait and see if their date for next year gets cancelled and get first dibs on that. Because most people want a while to plan, the GCNP is giving people the option to have a cut off date of their choosing for that option...at which time it will just go to the 2022 date. Not sure if they only get first dibs on the same date as their 2020 permit was for in 2021 or if they'll get preferential treatment for all of the cancellations that happen any time this year or next year.

My permit holder for the May 3rd trip I was signed on for has opted to just take the date in 2022. I'd probably wait and see what happens with the cancellations personally...but she just wanted the certainty of having the same date in 2022 so she could worry about other stuff right now (she is a Pediatric Oncology Nurse at a Children's Hospital...so plenty to worry about).

As for all of the different levels of shutdown or not... each area is administered by a different management team... so they are making decisions on an individual basis for their area. The Moab BLM office is being much more shut down happy then the Vernal and Price Offices...probably because of higher traffic in the Moab area compared to Vernal area.

If there are people running Deso still...they are staying pretty quiet. Understandable considering the ire that I've seen brought down on people who have "dared to not stay home".

I know I had a couple of invites for Deso at the end of this month but the permit holders have all decided to cancel either because they wanted to adhere to stay at home orders or due to lack of interest on other peoples part for the same reason. I talked to a few people who would probably do it if more were interested...but interest in a raft trip is pretty rare, and will likely remain so while most places have a stay at home order in place. I guess we'll see what happens as the orders are relaxed and people get back to a more normal life.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020   #28
 
caverdan's Avatar
 
C. Springs, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt67 View Post
That makes sense since Dino is a park but then why is Westwater closed down? Anyway will see what May brings there.
E/M touches on it in his post. The Utah governor is letting each county decide what form of shut down they want to take.

I have a future Deso trip in May that our crew is going to wait and see what the next week or two has in store. I'm still hoping we can go.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020   #29
 
Moab, Utah
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt67 View Post
That makes sense since Dino is a park but then why is Westwater closed down? Anyway will see what May brings there.
BLM-managed campgrounds within the Moab Field Office will not accept any new arrivals. This campground closure is consistent with the Southeast Utah Health Departmentís public health order issued on March 16 and is subject to change as new guidance is developed. Moab Field Office-managed restrooms have been temporarily closed. The BLM is committed to the health and safety of recreational visitors and our staff. The BLM will continue to closely monitor the situation and respond as conditions change.

Consistent with guidance from state and local health authorities, the BLM is canceling all private river permits and commercial launches for the Westwater Canyon Special Recreation Management Area (SRMA) within the Moab Field Office until further notice. Refunds for private permits will continue to be issued. In addition, all commercial use of Labyrinth Canyon of the Green River and the Moab Daily section of the Colorado River is suspended. The health and safety of recreational visitors and our staff is our number one priority. The BLM will continue to closely monitor the situation and respond as conditions change.
__________________
BLM - Moab Field Office
BLM_Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020   #30
 
2tomcat2's Avatar
 
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 612
The 1 notification for Deso permits on Rec.gov has vanished...
__________________
"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are."
Zen verse
2tomcat2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.