Deso - SE Utah Board of Health restrictions - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-11-2020   #11

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1984
Hey folks, I called the BLM yesterday (Friday 04/10) about a solo trip I'm planning to launch on the 17th. They're not checking IDs at the put-in, but I was warned that I could get a pricey ticket at the takeout for camping in Emery county. I'm having trouble finding a shuttle--Melanie at RRT can't give a yes unless things change on April 15, the day the current health regulations expire. My guess is the counties will continue with restrictions at least till the middle of May. I'm in Salt Lake, will only need to stop for gas, contact with no other person but the ranger, who will most definitely ask me to scram while checking my gear. While Deso is still open, from watching the board it appears that the BLM is not releasing cancelations even as they're allowing folks with permits to put on. The BLM guy I talked to did say there's been discussions about shutting down the stretch completely. If they don't close the river to boaters, they're considering dropping group size from 25 and under to 10 and under. My guess is June trips should be fine. We'll know more on the April 15th when new guidelines are released.

Andy Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2020   #12

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Thank you for calling. I did notice a few dates in early April coming and going this past week, don't know if they were snapped up or canceled by BLM? Will see what April 15 brings, or does not
Old 04-12-2020   #13

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1984
I'd certainly like to hear experiences from those who've taken off from Deso in the last week.
Andy Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2020   #14

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
Better check in with the Sheriff first, Stranger. And remember; don't be caught in town after sundown.
villagelightsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020   #15

C. Springs, Colorado
https://www.ksl.com/article/46741143...-travel-alerts
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020   #16

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
"wash your hands"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
What? Y'all want clear information? Only thing I know is "wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands"

Caverdan, as raymo states, I sincerely hope your trip is a go. We have a
June 12 launch and are also asking the river gods, Mother Nature and any entity that has to do with river life to be with everyone, on a river or not
I guess washing your hand's, helps to stop the virus from spreading to our selves and others. Eventually entering our body's through our mouths, if that's the case my mom's technique of washing our mouth's out with soap when we were kid's if we spoke a bad word should work on this virus too, right? I eventually got use to the taste of Ivory Soap after a while.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020   #17

Albuquerque, New Mexico
As we head towards permanent, financial doom politicians in a few places are talking about re-opening some. But at the same time they are passing martial law.....I would stay home.
DidNotWinLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020   #18

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Regarding Utah travel, this was updated yesterday at 4:10pmksl.com)

"Mobile travel alerts were instituted last week in an effort to track who was entering the state of Utah so health officials could coordinate in case those people needed treatment or assistance.

The alerts were intended to be pushed to mobile devices for people who were driving into the state in certain highway areas just inside the border.

However, the system didn't work as officials hoped, according to Utah Department of Emergency Management spokesman Joe Dougherty. The alerts were pushed to some people who were in their homes, sometimes far away from the border, he said.

As of 12:17 p.m. Monday, the alerts have been canceled, and the state does not anticipate using such a system for pandemic-related purposes, he said.

"It was a really bold experiment," Dougherty said, noting that Utah was the first state in the nation to attempt any sort of mobile notification system for travel orders.

Some people received the alert at their homes in St. George, the Uinta Basin and Oneida County, Idaho, according to Dougherty. People were receiving the alerts 15-20 times, with some people reporting they received it 30 times, he said.

The department of emergency management narrowed the areas where alerts were being pushed, and the system showed signs of improvement Monday, but officials ultimately decided to cancel the alerts, Dougherty said.

Moving forward, people will still be asked to voluntarily fill out the declaration at entry.utah.gov, but will be notified using electronic Utah Department of Transportation signs along highways, instead of mobile alerts, Dougherty said.

Several thousand people completed the travel declaration as a result of the alerts, which helped the health department gather some important data, Dougherty said.

Though the mobile alert technology won't be used again for coronavirus purposes, the technology is available to the state and may be used in other future scenarios, he said.
Old 04-14-2020   #19

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DidNotWinLottery View Post
But at the same time they are passing martial law.....I would stay home.
Where's this actually happening? Got a reputable source? I've been hearing that story for a month and it's all been wingnut conspiracy theory. If you've got a reputable source, please provide a link.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020   #20

flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1995
Again, can someone please respond if you've been down Deso/Gray in recent weeks!? would love to know the vibe/situation of trips?! i have a launch for 5/5 and intend to use it. Assuming BLM keeps it "open"- plan on keeping group small- what were your protocols if recently run??
thanks Steve
shoptech1 is offline   Reply With Quote