Dam in BV to be removed for safer passage. Public input tonight - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 06-26-2013   #1

Dam in BV to be removed for safer passage. Public input tonight

Please come tonight to show your support in converting a dangerous dam into a a safer passage. Rob White wanted me to inform you that tomorrow, Wednesday, June 26, from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. there will be a public meeting at the Aspen Room of the Buena Vista Community Center to discuss plans to reconstruct the Helena Diversion Boat Chute. As you are aware, this is a problematic structure and safety concern in its current state, and AHRA has plans to rebuild this in the fall of 2013 in cooperation with Helena Ditch owners.

Public input is encouraged, and the public is invited to attend this discussion. If you have any questions, contact AHRA at 719-539-7289.

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013   #2

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Is this the chute about a mile or so below the put-in at the foot bridge over the river, near the softball field?
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #3

The next zone, .
Good to see this is finally happening. The money was approved 2 years ago but flow and other issues pushed it back a couple of years.

I cant make it tonight but Earl is there any chance that we can get a play feature included? It seems with the amount of money involved that it would be a possibility.
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNEK View Post
Good to see this is finally happening. The money was approved 2 years ago but flow and other issues pushed it back a couple of years.

I cant make it tonight but Earl is there any chance that we can get a play feature included? It seems with the amount of money involved that it would be a possibility.
Hey NEK...give me a call.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #5
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
horseshit. that's a great rapid.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango View Post
horseshit. that's a great rapid.
but it is a major hazard for swimmers....particularly the left side. I have done some work for the ditch owner and we stood on the headgate looking into the rapid and talking at base flow in the fall a few years ago. The entire left side drop is made of angular chunks of broken concrete and there is a significant amount of rebar protruding from it. I know a raft guide who flipped there on a training run and got his pfd hooked on a piece of rebar underwater....had to cut himself free...
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
thanks for the info Logan. That's what I thought I remembered about the debris over there on the left. Glad to hear this work's being done.

On a side note, years ago I heard from folks in the know that there is also a scouting easement there but that it's never been publicized by the powers that be (I remember the placque at the ballfields access incorrectly stating "private property, no scouting" there a couple years ago).

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
On a side note, years ago I heard from folks in the know that there is also a scouting easement there but that it's never been publicized by the powers that be (I remember the placque at the ballfields access incorrectly stating "private property, no scouting" there a couple years ago).

-AH
The AHRA acquired an easement from property owners 2 seasons ago. There is now a nice landing with a scout/portage trail on river right. There is appropriate signage indicating the presence of the drop, and the property lines surrounding the trail. Not sure if the river description sign at the Buena Vista boat ramp has been updated to reflect this or not...
Old 06-28-2013   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Logan,

My understanding is that the scouting easement is over a decade old and likely much older than that. The former (very cantankerous) landowner didn't recognize the scouting easement and continued to harass and threaten anyone scouting despite the easement.

It was a several years ago (before AHRA "acquired" the easement) that I saw the plaque at the ballfields put in and was surprised that AHRA warned of the dam and stated there was private property / no trespassing while denying existence of the easement.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Interesting. It was my understanding that they had to purchase that small riverside parcel from the landowner in question to establish the trail..... regardless, there is a nice eddy there now with big boulders and a wide gravel trail big enough to portage a raft if necessary.