Cottonwood Island Recreation Site Update - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-23-2018   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Cottonwood Island Recreation Site Update

We are reaching out on behalf of the BLM Colorado River Valley Field Office to update the public on some great news:

"The Cottonwood Island Recreation Site along the Upper Colorado River north of Dotsero is now complete, hosting a new toilet and picnic table. We will have additional construction to open up the other shoulder for parking later depending on when Eagle County Road and Bridge can complete that part of the project.

We also are installing signs to help orient everyone.

The BLM Colorado River Valley Field Office would love to hear any feedback that you may have about these improvements. I have been asked if we will concrete the ramp, and right now the answer is we didn't have enough funding for this year to complete that. However, we are looking at that for the future. I also want everyone to know that we do expect to have to complete maintenance since the ramp is aggregate once high flows passes by next season. We already have money set aside and are planning for that.

We would appreciate your help with keeping this area clean, using the loop in the correct direction, not parking on the loop or at the ramp, and limiting your boat ramp use to 15 minutes. Please start to drive head first down the ramp, circle the loop, and then back up once you have straightened out your trailer. We are hoping this will help decrease rutting caused by tire spin. Thank you!"

Please contact the BLM Colorado River Valley Field Office (Eagle County Open Space does not own this site) at 970-876-9000 if you have any questions or comments. For a free online guide and map of this area click here.

ECOS_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Great to hear!

One question - are boaters required to wear PFDs on this section? Also, is there any way to clear out the infestations of tubers there in the summer? But seriously, I suspect that the majority of trash, broken glass, and other negative impacts at this location, Lyons Gulch, and Dotsero are due to that user group. A PFD requirement would be a great thing to enforce on weekends down there...

Thanks for the work y'all do!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018   #3

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
This GREAT news. It would, will be nice to stop people parking in the hammerhead on the boat ramp!
SlipShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
There are no state requirements regarding pfds and single chambered devices that I'm aware of. Boats need to carry a pfd for each person. Eagle County does not have any local regulation governing pfd use.

The boat ramps you listed are all within quick reach of I-70. My experience is that most of the refuse is from visitors in vehicles.
ECOS_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote