Colorado River flow beta request - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2018   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Colorado River flow beta request

Hey all, looking for some beta on current Pump House to State Bridge flows and recomendations. According to americanwhitewater the gauge is still reading in the 800cfs range. Is this accurate? Looks like in years past it would have been running closer to the 2000s by now.
Have paddleboarded and rafted the Pump House to State Bridge run the last couple of seasons in August in the 1200cfs range. Was really hoping for some bigger water this year.
What do you all think the lowest reasonable rafting flows would be?
If that gauge is accurate, anybody have a feel for when and or if the waters will rise?

Thanks,
J

Jay Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think it peaked last week at about 2000. The snow was weak up here this year. Have rafted it at 375 in a 15' raft.
cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You could go downstream to Glenwood Canyon.

Here are the (pretty bleak) forecasts:

Pumphouse
Dotsero

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Wooof. That is pretty darn bleak. Was planning on getting out there the first week of June. That forecast is not encouraging at all. With any luck the Yampa will still be runnable and some fun on a paddle board. Was out there apparently at peak a week ago. Makes sense that it and the Colorado would peak about the same time.
Have not run glenwood. Will look into it.
Any good suggestions for class II and III water going farther into the season? I’m in Fort Collins and the Poudre is looking and running great this year, but maybe that’s about it. Was hoping to get out there a little more this season.
Jay Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rando View Post
Any good suggestions for class II and III water going farther into the season? I’m in Fort Collins and the Poudre is looking and running great this year, but maybe that’s about it. Was hoping to get out there a little more this season.
Ark should hold "some" water a little longer than most places, hopefully through July. Look for damn controlled rivers to be your friend this year. Dillion looks pretty low but should have releases on both the south and north fork of the north platte. That would bring in the foxton/deckers runs and probably one of the closer options for you. Hope for rain events.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
Ark should hold "some" water a little longer than most places, hopefully through July. Look for damn controlled rivers to be your friend this year. Dillion looks pretty low but should have releases on both the south and north fork of the north platte. That would bring in the foxton/deckers runs and probably one of the closer options for you. Hope for rain events.
Yep, I expect to see a healthy dam release flow on the Ark this summer. The powers that be are starting to hold back more now that the severity of the situation has become clear....

As stated, I would look to Bailey/Foxton/Deckers/Waterton for mid summer water near Denver, or come up to the Ark Valley. There will be 600 cfs at the Wellsville gauge until August 15th.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
There is a new boat ramp at Parachute (with dispensary benefits I hear).

Where is the takeout below Parachute? I've always wanted to check out the lowermost upper Colorado. Or is it the uppermost lower Colorado?
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #8

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
There’s a couple here’s the list with mileage.

http://org.coloradomesa.edu/~jerry/guide/c5.htm
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Thanks Panama,
Jerry has a great online guidebook. Thanks for turning me onto it. Perhaps by tomorrow I'll have links to it in my "Report". I'll use symbol "J" in the hypermatrix. DO you know of any other online resources.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #10

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Yup I bet we have peaked for the year!

I have been running Arkansas all May. Paddling with wind blowing upstream on CO stinks!
Rwoods is offline   Reply With Quote