Changes in Hance Rapid, G.C. - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2012   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Changes in Hance Rapid, G.C.

I was told by a friend just returning from a GC trip that Red Canyon flashed and pushed a lot of rocks and debris into the left run, behind the pyramid shaped entry rock. They were at the scout when it flashed and had to wait for it to calm down before running right in the new Hance rapid. He wasn't sure what else may have moved in the rapid. Anyone hear anything or know any more?

BTW, all of the National camps have been blown out also. Big changes this year!!

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Cool! Thanks for the post! It'll be interesting to see if Hance gets even bonier at low flows or if it gets big waves on the right now....
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
I am thinking at lower water we may need to be a little further right that before. I'll try to collect some beta from trips coming in to see what they say..... More big storms for this week, even more stuff could change down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012   #4

Redwood City, California
Paddling Since: 2009
Heading down on Sept. 1st! Woot!
Rogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #5

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Well, no one else is asking the obvious question so I will. First National and now Red Canyon, when will this stop? No one let the river running community know that this was going to happen, there was no public input, hell I bet the proper forms weren't filed with the Debrisflow Interagency Public Safety Habitat Interaction Trust. What about the smaller canyons, when do they get there turn. This needs to be nipped in the bud now. Otherwise random rapids will start poping up all over the place and we could lose other rapids. Look what happened to Salmon Falls.
Old 08-20-2012   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
It could be the worst thing ever in G.C., Kikii! Hell, in my time down there I have noticed that the whole damn place is constantly falling apart. Why won't the Park do anything?
Old 08-21-2012   #7

Heading down on the 6th for last trip of season and looking forward to checking it out. My favorite thing about being down there is seeing all the subtle changes from year to year! Yea... I like rock
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
National is amazing! The canyon is way different. The hike is a cruise now until the narrows. and the chimney move to get in is completely buried. There is some video that I've seen on cameras and phones that were taken by two motor trips passing National as it flashed. It's amazing. Hopefully they get it posted on youtube soon.

Interesting about Hance. I head out again on Sunday, so we'll see what it's like!
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
So...has anyone seen footage of Hance since the flash? Found the aerial photos, but sure would like to see the action. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2012   #10

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Someone posted footage on the GCPBA Facebook page.
Wasn't much to look at...
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote