Car in Upper C - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
Car in Upper C

There’s a car on river left in the Upper Colorado about a quarter mile past State Bridge. Heard from a guide that it rolled off Windy Point Rd and into the water on Thursday night. Last he heard everyone lived. Anyone have more info on what happened? Car was still packed full of gear when we floated by today.

stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1968
Also floated by car yesterday morning. That was a long fall down a very steep bank. Saw tow truck with cable pulled down to car when I was driving out later in the day. Not sure that is going to work but I'm not a vehicle recovery expert. Hope no one was injured badly and if no serious injuries, they were very fortunate.
goldenrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Glad everyone is alright but the Upper C antics never ceases to amaze me.
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Fort Collins
We floated by around 2:30/3ish, and the car was almost back to the road, the tow truck was still working on it. We thought it had stopped at a tree near the top, not rolled to the river.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Denver, Colorado
My buddy witnessed the car rolling off the side and it took the help of many agencies/private citizens to locate and hoist him up. I will share the driver came out with relatively minor injuries given the seriousness of the wreck. Right place at the right time.
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Wet car

Any pictures?
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Denver, Colorado
Not any good ones, they were taken at night. Heard an outfitter posted a good pic, will find and re-post.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
Didn't take any pictures. It didn't feel appropriate given that we didn't know how the driver/passengers fared.

Baldy, does your buddy know any more about what caused it to roll? I've always been sketched by that road because if you meet up with someone coming from the other direction, there's literally no way to turn around. Someone has to back out.
stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Denver, Colorado
Driver was alone, my buddy was following behind him within eyesight of the taillights. They were not together. Looks like the Subaru may have drifted left and over corrected to the right, only to go tumbling down the embankment into the river. There was another group of campers (unrelated) at the end of road that came up to help. They were able to locate driver before EMS were on scene. Very glad the outcome wasn't worse
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Eagle, Colorado
Good to hear the driver made it out. Wasn't there talk of closing that road to car camping at some point? I actually thought they had already done it.. I'm probably just confused as always.
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote