Boxelder access - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2013   #1
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Boxelder access

Me and a couple unnamed individuals made a little trip up to Boxelder creek near Casper Wyoming this weekend, and we had an encounter with THE LAW. We had a car parked at the standard putin, and apparently someone called in that we were trespassing. I don't know what was different about this weekend, but for some reason the landowners were on the war path, being very vigilant and pretty displeased with any kayaking attempts. A sheriff's deputy met us at takeout and we had a very polite talk (he was a cool guy). We ended up with a warning for trespassing.

Apparently the putin up at the bridge is NOT good to go. Also, be careful at takeout, since nobody was exactly sure where the property lines were there.

But the news is not all bad. We were pointed to a better campsite, on the road that branches off just upstream of the takeout, and apparently if you explore around farther down that road, you can reach the river without necessarily trespassing (and you're a lot lower profile). Consult a map to be sure. The road was a lot rougher than the main road, and there was a bit of a hike down a steep hill at the end, but if you're doing Boxelder, you're not going to let any hike slow you down. It felt good to do the run without any of that trespassing fear hanging over my head.

Flows were still low, but still fun.

leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks for the heads up Leif! And keep kayaking the creek! Most of the creek is in county park so let the locals be dbags we haven't done anything wrong.

Get a map and check out the lines.. This is the first time I have ever heard about this issue at the put in.. The put in parking on the south side of the bridge is different land than on the other side of the fence. Fence down is true and its possible to get the season pass from them for fishing through there land which is the same thing. Best of luck with that witch of a women we had to deal with.. Ten whole feet we are talking about.. Some people!!
The county park stretches to the bottom end of the canyon so you have a long ways to go to be trespassing there Leif. So you can put in even further up creek and walk right through the fence anyways.

Also we have the right to portage fences if you put in at a legit state land county park, blm put in..

Sad to see the childish landowners in wyoming!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The VR ranch manager told me very politely over the phone that they were not allowing access up at the bridge this year.

On the bright side, the new hike in skips flatwater, isn't hard, and you don't miss a single rapid. On the hike out, when you break out of the trees in that marshy spot where you'd typically go uphill and right to the take out lot, if you instead go left up through the pines (more westerly I believe)...that hike is maybe 2-5 few minutes longer and it puts you within a half mile walk to your put in location and its shady. That's how I'll be doing the logistics next time unless I just run the whole canyon to the Platte.

Also, it's about time we start a little friendly competition on hike out times, m-box style. So here's my starting ante, left he creek at 1:06 and hit the top where we camped at 1:44. 38 minutes from creek to camp.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Be responsible up there, don't get arrested for doing anything that's illegal! The new Putin is the shizzle. 1/4 mile above triple scoop. If your car won't make the road, the hike from the camp spot wouldn't be bad you could drag your boat. The hike down is at the point in the road down. Hike the chute on the left of the rock out cropping! It's the road past the old takeout turn left then take first major right fork! It goes down hill about 3/4 mile through a couple puddles!
ChasetheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #5

Paddling Since: 2006
By open containers I mean in your car when you pull up!
ChasetheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Paddling Since: 1967
Someone might reach out to the landowners and politely ask What the fuck is your deal?

My guess is, someone dropped trash, or made a mess, or bent some grass, or sumpin.

A little offer of some cash, or could we help with a chore, or sumpin might solve the problem.

Or, identify the ones who need to adjust their meds anyway
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
Someone might reach out to the landowners and politely ask What the fuck is your deal?

My guess is, someone dropped trash, or made a mess, or bent some grass, or sumpin.

A little offer of some cash, or could we help with a chore, or sumpin might solve the problem.

Or, identify the ones who need to adjust their meds anyway
The biggest problem is probably the color of the license plates. Wyoming ranchers really don't like greenies and other than Mike's MT plates we've all be from CO.

I don't think putting in lower down in the Converse County park is an issue and it's public land. You don't miss any whitewater and like Leif said, if you're doing boxelder a little downhill hike isn't an issue.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #8
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
My suspicion is that they don't want to give the appearance that people are allowed on their land at all. Kayaker cars parked near property boundaries might encourage other tourists to wander off over fences and past trespassing signs.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access