Boulder County Parks and Open Space ***READ*** - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-29-2016   #1

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Boulder County Parks and Open Space ***READ***

Hey guys and gals, Boulder County Parks and Open space has acquired quite a bit of land since the floods. Some of this land stretches across boated runs. BCOPS has "signaled" that they will NOT allow boating to occur any longer on these stretches of river. In some stretches BCPOS has actually used fencing and in others citations are possible as well as allowing debris such as river wide strainers to remain across the channel and be a potential life safety hazard and by proxy diminishing the ability to paddle without walking across private land.

Thats the short story.

What I need is support that you as front range boaters in Boulder County oppose BCPOS stance on not allowing safe boating through runnable stretches of water. If you would just type below.... "I support your efforts" I can then document that much of the boating community opposes any stance minimizing the safe boating of rivers in creeks that are owned by BCPOS. Lower South St Vrain, Some stretches of Boulder creek, Some areas of the St Vrain below Lyons and possibly some stretches along the NSV.

If you don't know who I am I'm sure someone on here can vouch that this is a legitimate request and for the good of our sport as boaters.

Matt Booth

Lyons Outdoor Games Coordinator for over 9 years

erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I support your efforts!

I am quite surprised that BCOSP is anti boating.

Are they concerned with liability? Have there been any instances of a parks department being sued over a boating accident?

They should be advocating boating and removing fences, not adding them.

Thanks Matt.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #3

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
I support your efforts!

Thanks Matt!
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016   #4

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Dave, BCPOS has mentioned concerns about the boating impact on wildlife. The argument is somewhat moot considering some of the examples of rivers at risk are roadside. Lower SSV as an example. I also think that there is a misconception about boating. Lots of times people assume kayaking equals, cars parked, lots of trespassing, staying in one spot (freestyle) and and being loud (Marty Cronin).

Boulder county, (Not BCPOS per se) has been very supportive of working with the recreation community. Commissioner Elise Jones has been very supportive of river restoration that supports a recreation lifestyle. She is up for re-election so keep that in mind. Julie McKay of Boulder county transportation has been helpful as has Ken Huson with the City of Longmont.

BCPOS can support appropriate recreation as long as we as a community address the issues. One of the steps is getting MB on board.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Matt,

I support your efforts!

Thanks for the work you're doing,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #6

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Growing up there in the 60's, I, for one, was dis-appointed the flood didn't target the downtown Boulder flood plain even more directly. Then it could have reverted back to a sleepy college town and all the want-to-be intellectuals would have packed up and left.

Wildlife. Unbelievable. Would that be the Trash and Dog Food -fed Deer ? Or the Trash and Dog Food-fed Racoons ? Or maybe the Trash and Dog Food and Occasional Jogger fed Mountain Lions if there indeed is one still left ? I'm sure if there was, and it was in the least bit threatening, it would be immediately shot.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I absolutely support your efforts.
jwburdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I support your efforts.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hi Matt,

I support your efforts in keeping all rivers and creeks accessible and navigable flowing through all BCPOS land. Kayakers are respectful of wildlife and only pass by with little impact.

Thanks for representing our interests.

Susan
SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #10

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 84
I support your efforts.
paddleit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, boulder