Blossom bar wrap & Hazard - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-01-2018   #11

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
what's the blue thing under the surface immediately downstream?
Another post I read said there is an IK hanging off the boat and two buckets.. if you look close you can see one of the buckets in the white of the rapid.

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
It took them three times to get a drift boat out, that was in a much safer spot to work on, so I wouldn’t plan on it leaving till the water gets high.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018   #13

Grants Pass, Oregon
We are so fortunate that we, as citizens of a nation, have people who are paid, and dedicated to take care of our rivers and do the kind of hard work that it takes to deal with problems like this.
Freeflow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2018   #14

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I was in a party where our first boat was cut and a tube popped which spooked out our party of 14. I opted to take a right side run which I didn't think was possible at this level but we got through as did about 4-5 boats of another party and 2-3 others in our party. It helped to have extra bodies at the crux to push the boat and reposition as it went down. I tried a middle shoot on the right side but ended up stuck for a half hour and we pulled it out pretty easily with a rope. If you go right, go all the way right or I might hit the middle shoot again with a lot of momentum. The rest of our party risked it on the main left run and there were no other cuts including one of our boats who hit the wrapped boat pretty hard. Right as we left our boat repair station on river right 1/2 down the rapid, another boat came through and was cut. It felt like boater's roulette over there. I am glad someone is on it.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeflow1 View Post
We are so fortunate that we, as citizens of a nation, have people who are paid, and dedicated to take care of our rivers and do the kind of hard work that it takes to deal with problems like this.
Wouldn't it also be great if we lived in a world that people took responsibility to clean up their own F$#@ing mess!

I am well aware that bad shit happens to even the best boaters. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that most years blossom has multiple boats that are abandoned and create a hazard for the rest of the community to deal with.

I would love to see a sign installed at the scout that could be used to warn people there is a new hazard in the rapid since you often can't even see the wrecks from the scout.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018   #16

Grants Pass, Oregon
The wrap was safely removed on 11/2.
Freeflow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018   #17

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeflow1 View Post
The wrap was safely removed on 11/2.
Any chance there's video?
Old 11-06-2018   #18

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarboatman View Post
Wouldn't it also be great if we lived in a world that people took responsibility to clean up their own F$#@ing mess!
Lighten up. I'm sure the people would have recovered their gear if they'd had any way to do it. Nobody takes lightly the decision to walk away from a $10,000 pile of equipment.
The Mogur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018   #19

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
Lighten up. I'm sure the people would have recovered their gear if they'd had any way to do it. Nobody takes lightly the decision to walk away from a $10,000 pile of equipment.

Brings up a good story. Few years ago during runoff I put in on the Roaring Fork near Carbondale. Few hundred yards downstream we saw a drift boat sunk, facing into the current, and tied to a tree. Looked good and stuck so we just left it. Couple of days later we see the same boat but now the 40 ft cottonwood has fallen in the river and the drifter is holding the tree. I knew that it wasn't going to last long so I called a buddy and we got all my come alongs, winches and ropes, and my swiftwater gear and set about retrieving it. At one point I think we had four come alongs attached and two z-drags. Finally got it to budge and eventually got it to shore where we proceed to bailing. Didn't seem to be getting anywhere so checked the drain plug. Sure enough no drain plug - found it in a compartment. PO had launched with no drain plug and sunk her. Anyway, we got it drained, rowed to the takeout and trailered it to my storage yard. Called the Sheriff, no report. Asked around and nobody knew whose it was. Couple of weeks go by and we think we have a brand new Clackacraft only to get a call from the Sheriff. Turns out the PO had sunk it, left the State and not filed a report. Sheriff says we gotta give it back, fair enough but I give him a bill for $1800 salvage and storage fee. Took a bit of negotiating but eventually settled on$1100 I think. Guess all turned out OK but don't discount someones propensity to walk from a serious fuck up
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018   #20

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
Sheriff says we gotta give it back, fair enough but I give him a bill for $1800 salvage and storage fee. Took a bit of negotiating but eventually settled on$1100 I think. Guess all turned out OK but don't discount someones propensity to walk from a serious fuck up
Sounds like a win to me!
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote