Beware of Salmon River Rules and draconian enforcement - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 01-30-2019   #1

gig harbor, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Be aware that you can be restricted from participation in the Four Rivers Lottery if you are unaware of how the rules are applied. If you pick up a cancellation permit with 22 days before launch day and cancel
It with 20 days left before launch, you will be banned from future lotteries. If you are holding a permit, for even the slightest amount of time, and the clock passes the 21 day window, you are in violation. Last year I got a cancellation permit with only 22 days before launch. My sister picked up one the very next day and her date was a better one. I immediately cancelled the permit. I never considered that holding a cancellation permit for less than 48 hours would prevent me from entering the lottery for three years. I spoke with the project manager, Nick, and he agreed that this was ridiculous. However, the Ranger, Ken, will not succumb to cimmon sense. I am not done fighting this. I will move up the chain all the way to the Secretary of the Interior if need be. I’ve been through too much for this land to not be able to enjoy it. Be careful when grabbing cancellations around the 3 week mark. Be safe out there.

fcaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019   #2

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Wow, that is harsh. I have wondered how they would handle a situation like this. They should give people at least 72 hours to cancel regardless of when they pick up the permit, before the cancellation period or after.

What happens if you get a permit less than 20 days before the launch date and then need to cancel? I don't want to bash the rangers because I think they do a good job, but common sense interpretation of the rules seems appropriate in this case.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You need to understand and follow the rules. You picking it up without a firm commitment likely prevented someone else from getting it that actually was committed. The rule is an incentive not to just grab one, just in case.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019   #4

gig harbor, Washington
They said if you got a permit inside the 21 day window you won’t be penalized. Ridiculous!!!!
Old 01-30-2019   #5

gig harbor, Washington
You need to understand that three letter acronyms are legislating from an unelected position. There is a human factor that needs to be addressed. I was firm. I went on a permit that launched 3 days after. What is a person supposed to do? Sorry family, I have to go on a trip by myself because there’s an arbitrary rule about 21 days. Commercial boater much?
Old 01-30-2019   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
So a hypothetical question. You invited a friend on a trip, they accepted, you notified other people that you were full. Then a couple of days later that "friend" called up to say they accepted another trip and were dropping out because it was a better offer - leaving you to scramble to fill the vacancy with people who made other plans. Would you invite that "friend" on your next trip? I wouldn't, not for that weak-ass excuse. You say you were "firm" but obviously you weren't. Read the rules and follow them and you won't have a problem. Secretary of the Interior?
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019   #7

gig harbor, Washington
So you can get a permit with 21
Days left cancel the next day and you’re screwed but if you get a permit with 20’days left you don’t have to cancel at all or use the permit. The next year you’ll be just fine you’re and idiot, a commercial boater or work for the Forrest Sevice. That’s the only way you could argue in the side of stupidly.
Old 01-30-2019   #8

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Wah wah wah cry me a fuckin river......I'll raft it.

You made a mistake now grow up and take responsibility, and stop trying to blame other people or "the system" you don't understand.
flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019   #9

gig harbor, Washington
Cool
Story. Hope you can tell it again real soon
Old 01-30-2019   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I appreciate the heads-up.

fcaraska, I think most of the push-back you're getting is due to your tone. Rant/vent threads here often have the opposite of the desired result.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote