Beware of Salmon River Rules and draconian enforcement - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 01-31-2019   #31

Phew, that was a good read. That is a bummer that this happened to you and thank you for posting because i would not have known this. I used to work for the BLM/Forest Service and one thing that I learned is that permit systems are far from perfect and trying to balance Commercial/Private permits and the Ecosystem is like playing Russian roulette with extra bullets.

hikinlichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019   #32

gig harbor, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
I was a Ranger Nephew and spent 2 years at Lee’s Ferry. I remember Georgie Clark and the early 80s were fun for a kid in the ramp. Thanks for the input.
fcaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #33

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaraska View Post
I have the permit back somother boaters could use it. I didn’t know my sister had won the permit until 48 whopping hours after. I could have launched and waited two days for them to catch up but instead gave the permit back somanother family could use it. Please read and understand before spewing your scoldings. Thanks.
I read and understood. If you would have told your sister you had a permit. What reason would she have to pick up one of her own. None. She wouldn't have. You should take your own advice about reading and comprehension.
Rick A is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019   #34
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
So you can get a permit with 21
Days left cancel the next day and you’re screwed but if you get a permit with 20’days left you don’t have to cancel at all or use the permit.
this is not accurate.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #35

gig harbor, Washington
Not according to the project manager.
Old 01-31-2019   #36

gig harbor, Washington
Here’s the email.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37FAAA1A-5763-41D0-849D-2E24291C4D61_1548972080429.png
Views:	169
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	32957  
Old 01-31-2019   #37

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
You need to understand and follow the rules. You picking it up without a firm commitment likely prevented someone else from getting it that actually was committed. The rule is an incentive not to just grab one, just in case.
Exactly right!
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #38

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Here’s the email.
LOL I used to work with that lady, and I hated her. She would take my parking spot that was right outside my department, just to walk all the way across the hospital to where she worked. I always joked that I was going to shit on her hood before she left. Kinda sad that I didn't. Any way, good luck with that.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #39

gig harbor, Washington
You’re a moron and have no idea what my intentions were. I didn’t know someone else had grabbed a permit for the same week. We all had an intention of rafting the Salmon. Do you sit around and say,” hey if a permit for July 09th comes up randomly with 21 days before launch, anyone want to go? Please read and understand the technicality that the adults are discussing. I haven’t been on the buzz in a while but it seems to have turned into the island of trolls. This is a technicality that shouldn’t exist and grown ups are discussing it. If you do t have anything productive to say go back to your video game.
Old 01-31-2019   #40

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Most grown ups I know are able to read and follow directions. Your situation is not the end of the world. Get on someone else's permit or apply for the other three 4Rivers permits. By the way, you just can't apply for the permit. You're not banned from the river. Just try for another cancellation. Seemed to work for your family last year. Two cancellation permit pickups in two days. Not bad. Who is really the troll?

Quote:
Cancellation and No-Show Policy of the Salmon
Cancellation Policy:
Reservations are not transferable.
If you cannot make the trip, you must cancel your reservation in your Recreation.gov profile. Cancellations should be made at www.recreation.gov as soon as possible, but are required to be submitted no later than 21 days prior to your launch date to avoid the cancellation penalty. If your cancellation is within 21 days of your launch date, you will be restricted from participating in the control season lottery for the Salmon for 3 years. All cancelled reservations are entitled to have their recreation fees refunded through recreation.gov; the reservation/application fee is non-refundable. If you pick up a cancellation within the 21 days and are cancelling it, please contact the North Fork Ranger District so it can be noted on permit.

No Show Policy:
If you cannot make the trip, you must cancel your reservation. Failure to show for your scheduled launch date will result in a “No-Show” penalty. This penalty includes no refund of recreation fees applied to reservation, no refund of the reservation/application fee, and you will be restricted from participating in the control season lottery for the Salmon for 3 years.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote