Beware of Salmon River Rules and draconian enforcement - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 01-30-2019   #21

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Seems that Snarky Level 10 has moved from the permit lottery article post to this one.

Carry on.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019   #22

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaraska View Post
Haha. Winter blues. Let the snow melt.
Your timing on snow melt is about as good as your permit application/cancellation. It’s only January. Don’t worry about a witty response...you’ll probably ruin your day before mine.Mom jokes are a bit stale but I'm always game to hear them.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #23

gig harbor, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Please tell me more.
fcaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019   #24

Northern Utah, Utah
I made that rookie mistake once and didn't know about it until I called in with a different question 2 years later. In my experience, you are not notified, and you can continue to apply online each year, though at some point they filter out your lottery application without notification and without refund.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #25

gig harbor, Washington
With the new system it just prevents you from entering lottery. I am asking for a rule change that allows you to hold the permit for 72 hours before incurring a penalty. Only the commercial boaters would object.
Old 01-31-2019   #26

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I've never been a commercial boater and I object. There are so many people applying for the lottery and then so many people left over grabbing cancelations. My opinion, remember MY opinion so you don't have to like it or believe it, is that if you grab any permit during the permit season, commit and go, or cancel with enough time so others can grab it and go. If you can't do those things, maybe you shouldn't apply. I do think the same cancellation rule should apply if you take a permit within 21 days of the launch.

The cancellation policy is directly on the page where you apply for permits. Maybe he men can read at an 8th grade level so call me a he man if you want.

I get your frustration but really, you're so mad you're going to take this all the way to the interior secretary? I'm sure Trump's pal is really going to listen and fix this. Like most things, I've been wrong before. Good luck in your endeavors.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #27

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I'm not a commercial boater and still agree you should not pick up a permit you don't intend to use. If it was me who picked up that permit, I would have let my boating friends know I had a permit and they dont need to keep trying to get one. If you would have done that you would not be in the situation you're in.Your actions hurt fellow boaters and now you have to deal with the consequences of those actions. Somehow surprised that your complaints are found annoying by folks who would have loved to have that permit.
Rick A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #28
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
I made that rookie mistake once and didn't know about it until I called in with a different question 2 years later. In my experience, you are not notified, and you can continue to apply online each year, though at some point they filter out your lottery application without notification and without refund.
Now that's some good information to have. Thank You.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #29

gig harbor, Washington
I have the permit back somother boaters could use it. I didn’t know my sister had won the permit until 48 whopping hours after. I could have launched and waited two days for them to catch up but instead gave the permit back somanother family could use it. Please read and understand before spewing your scoldings. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019   #30

gig harbor, Washington
Typos brought to you by IPhone