Mountain Buzz banner

Bear on Ruby-Horsethief

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MNichols 
#1 ·
Hi All,

It's that time of year again where we have had several bear sightings along the Colorado River in Ruby-Horsethief. Please remember to be Bear Aware:

BE BEAR AWARE

• Keep a clean camp. All food, toothpaste, soda and juices, and other bear attractants should be secured away from tents. While away from camp, secure food and garbage.
• Properly store food and garbage away from your tent
• Never sleep in the clothes you cooked in
• Keep your tent free of strong smelling lotions, perfumes and food
• Keep your pets leashed and secure their food between meals. Loose dogs can startle bears and cause them to chase the dogs back to their owners.
• Avoid surprising bears by making noise, as bears will avoid you if they can hear or smell you.
• Always give a bear space. Never approach, crowd, pursue or displace a bear you see ahead on the trail.
• Never get between a mother and her cub even if the cub appears to be alone or sick.

Click the link below for more bear safety tips!

https://cpw.state.co.us/bears

See less See more
#9 ·
Colorado Emergency Management: Fire Bans & Danger

This website shows no fire bans currently in Mesa County. I know RH & WW span into UT, but this is what I could find on the CO side of the fence.

Correct, there are no fire bans in Mesa County, but there IS a BLM Fire Ban on BLM land in Ruby Horse-thief, as of Yesterday at any rate. On Sunday I watched a group get a ticket for having a fire in camp during the ban. The fine folk tied their boats to the sign that said "Fire Ban IN Effect".

At this juncture there is no fire ban in Westwater. The Fire Ban orders I posted are both in force until rescinded. You can call the Grand Junction Field Office if you'd like verification. Remember, The BLM manages Federal Lands, which are not Mesa County Lands. Does that make sense?

Phone‎: ‎970-244-3000
Email‎: ‎gjfo_webmail@blm.gov

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.