Arkansas River CLOSURE (BV - Johnson Village) - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-29-2014   #1

Salida, Colorado
Arkansas River CLOSURE (BV - Johnson Village)

Dear Outfitter and Private Boating Community,

For the protection of public health, welfare and safety, AHRA is closing the river section between Buena Vista (bottom of the whitewater park) and Wilderness Aware launch boat ramp until further notice. The Helena Diversion Structure (aka Silver Bullet, aka Buena Vista Boat Chute) is causing significant issues in the third wave of the boat chute and also the re-entry eddy at the bottom of the portage trail.

AHRA is working on launch options near Johnson Village. AHRA will notify you as soon as a compromise for launching within this section has been determined.

Due to private property between this stretch, whitewater trips above Buena Vista will need to end at Buena Vista boat ramp and no trips can launch at Buena Vista to travel downstream. Buena Vista's Whitewater Park is available.

Additional information will be provided when available.

AHRA
(719)539-7289

AHRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014   #2

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Must be pretty big issues to shut the river down. Glad for the heads up though - was planning to put it at RR bridge and run to Hecla on Saturday. Wouldn't have been thrilled to have been told to get out at BV with no car waiting there. Another section it is.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #3

moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
GREAT JOB AHRA

Used to be great run. Another place AHRA trying to manage something they know very little about. Thanks Rob White
kayakees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
While I didn't like the idea of the remodel in the first place I actually think the designers will come back and get this figured out. The fact that the portage trail isn't working should have been easy to address in the design phase though. What's more screwed up is the AHRA somehow has the authority to close a section of river on a whim to the private boating community. That hole looked solid but certainly runnable. While this stretch isn't that fantastic it does connect other pieces of excellent whitewater which can make for a long, fulfilling and fairly uniquely Arkansas river experience.
Old 05-29-2014   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Seems to me that nobody has the right to CLOSE that river to private boating. Navigable waterway. It's my right to get trashed in a hole if I want to.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id725 View Post
Seems to me that nobody has the right to CLOSE that river to private boating. Navigable waterway. It's my right to get trashed in a hole if I want to.
The same way you can use public roads or public land without restriction?
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
The same way you can use public roads or public land without restriction?
State parks can't arbitrarily close a roadway that passes through because too many car accidents happened. Same should apply for the river.
Old 05-29-2014   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Furthermore a river is most certainly NOT like a public road. It was not built and does not need to be maintained. The AHRA CHOOSES to spend a lot of money around that river corridor...
But this thread is gonna get real dumb real fast. Get out your clubs and let's beat some dead horses.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #9

The next zone, .
Interesting to see what the AHRA can get done for only 400k and it only took 4 years of work... Guess they did not have the time or the $ to get it done correctly.

Wonder if they will find a way to get the "fix" done this decade or if we are looking at a arbitrary closing of this section of river for a number of years.. Just like the first time they re-did the boat chute in the 80's then again in the 90's the man made rapid is much more difficult after the "fix" was done.

Remember that the head gate to the ditch had to be redone and that is why the work was done.

From my understanding and before anyone jumps on the folks who did the in river work they had a ton of gradient to deal with as well as a fish ladder.. The guys building it did as good as they could with their hands tied by the AHRA. Again the guys building it did as well as they could. The complete responsibility lies solely with the AHRA.

The AHRA as well at the ditch and private land owners (well after the local rancher was nice enough to sell the AHRA the property as they are the "landowner" now) pretty much tied the hands of the guys doing the work as I saw the entire process the guys doing the work did as best they could with the gradient and what the AHRA said they had to do.

Kinda interesting that they did not see at 700 - 800cfs that this "thing" would be a beater hole..... Many of us who boat that section regularly sure had a strong suspicion that it would turn into just what it did.

As far as running it I dont think the AHRA should be able to or even can tell privates that they cant run any section on the Arkansas River. It seems the AHRA wants to shut down a lot of the Ark to boating over the past few months.

Or again the AHRA is planning on shutting down complete sections that have been historically boated (above Twin Lakes) just due to the whim of some well connected fishermen and now they want a indefinite closure for private boaters around Buena Vista??? Come on - limit the commercials and leave the section open to private boaters. The same way it should be above Twin Lakes..

Private boaters should be able to and should plan to boat the section. Plain and simple or this is a slippery slope that private boaters need to stand up to or the AHRA "closures" will get more arbitrary and no doubt bigger over the next few years..

Yea this is a epic fail or a great example of a bureaucracy boondoggle...
Old 05-29-2014   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Well it looks like the AHRA screwed up the design on the boat chute but I'd expect someone's hearing from them on the fact it turned into a boat eater. Hopefully they'll get if fixed next winter and it'll make the section boatable at all levels.

I agree that they should open it to privates but sure wouldn't want to do that swim in that boogie water below it.

Yeah, it's a drag that they didn't get it right, but at least they tried to do something boater-friendly when they rebuilt the diversion. I'd bet they get an earful from the outfitters, especially the ones that frequent that stretch.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arkansas, arkansas river, ark