Anticipated Fire Bans Summer 2019? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2019   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Anticipated Fire Bans Summer 2019?

Does anyone know if/when they will enact fire bans in the four corners area? We have a memorial day weekend Ruby-Westwater trip and even though it has been a wet year it seems we inevitably get one at some point. Last year it was May first, the year before June. BLM rangers often chime in here and I was hoping to get some assurance that we will be able to grill (or not).

almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
God I hope not, burn all the winter snow fall record books and tropical rain forest spring conditions. Even the most hardened bureaucrats and anti fire environmentalist will struggle to justify fire bans this year.
DidNotWinLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #3

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
They seem to love burn bans. I think it is inevitable these days but hopefully not until mid summer.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
It doesn't matter the conditions, here in Colorado, the week before 4th of July magically is always a high fire danger and fire bans.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have found the Grand Junction BLM to be very grounded and justified in their fire restrictions. I have shown up prepared to leave the firewood behind only to be told the conditions had improved and we would be allowed to have a fire if desired. Every year is different so put the gear in the truck and leave it behind if not allowed. Still meed a firepan anyhow so not a big deal.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #6
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
When it hasn't rained significantly in 3 weeks

Conditions have been pretty wet on the western slope (ruby/horse-thief), more rain coming over the next couple days.

Things can dry out pretty fast if it gets hot
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I’ll bet your still good then, at least for just charcoal.

I’m usually pretty happy to see a fire ban where I live, kick in right before Fourth of July.
Even if it is still possible to have a fire, safely, there are just way to many idiots out during that weekend, that have NO idea how to have a safe campfire, or really do anything, for that matter. (I am starting to doubt the theory of natural selection, what aren’t they all dead yet?)
And I’d rather not have our house burn down.
Besides, it’s bloody hot that time of year, save it for the cold weather, when you need one. My 2 penny’s, no offense meant to anybody( except some of the idiots I see round these parts during holidays).
Old 05-08-2019   #8
SmokinFortiesDrinkinWeed

glenwierd, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
hey Matt man to many warning labels on thing that are dangerous for natural selection to be effective.

fire bans usually start after a fire has gotten out of control.

Stay Tuned!!!
Old 05-08-2019   #9
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
No more negativity. It's going to stop snowing just in time for a strong monsoon!
Old 05-08-2019   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
hey Matt man to many warning labels on thing that are dangerous for natural selection to be effective.

fire bans usually start after a fire has gotten out of control.

Stay Tuned!!!

I agree!
Let nature have its wonderful, wonderful, way. Half the problem with society, is protecting people from themselves, all the time. It’s like being an enabler to an addict. It doesn’t help him, he needs to learn on his own, so he has a chance to get better.
Just so long as they don’t burn me down, let them learn the hard way, as long as I am far away!

Happy boating to all, and hears to the moisture continuing this summer, and folks getting to teach there kids how to have a fir without burnin down the hood!