I sincerely hope I'll see you there on 5/24. Got an invite on an early season permit the same day.
But I'm honestly thinking it won't happen. MT and Idaho haven't even peaked yet with COVID-19 cases. Salmon-Challis NF has closed Boundary, Cache, etc through 4/30, and I am fully expecting that gets extended.
Yet, I'll gladly play along.
SWE at Banner Summit is very similar to low snow years 2005 and 2015 (I was on a 5/14/15 4.0' launch). Until yesterday, SWE was holding about 18", and I was seriously hoping that we'd see low snow through March which is typically the last time it will ramp up.
It jumped up to 21.1" SWE in the last 36 hours, bringing it closer to an average year.
I had heard anecdotally that the road to Boundary had been open most of the winter, but 2" more of SWE in 1.5 days (and 1.7" SWE a week prior to that) is a LOT of new snow.
So...was cautiously optimistic, now more realistic and need someone on the ground to say what the road looks like.