2020 Middle Fork Hazards and Access Thread - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #61
 
bsimcoe's Avatar
 
Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
I did hear that they removed a culvert at the Dagger Falls Rd. and were unable to finish last Fall because they got snowed out. Road crews are the first to come back on for the summer so they may be chomping at the bit to get that finished. Rumor is; that at an Outfitter meeting the FS said it was HIGH Priority! Whatever that means......

bsimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #62
 
athelake's Avatar
 
Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 175
Forest Service Intermountain Region Issues a Ten Person Group Size Limit for Outdoor Recreation Groups to Help in Easing Closures of Recreation Sites
Contact(s): Mike Richardson
OGDEN, Utah, April 29, 2020 **— In alignment with current federal, state and local guidance for social distancing, and to ensure health and safety of its employees, visitors and volunteers, the Intermountain Region has issued a 10 person group size limit for outdoor recreation on National Forest System Lands in Idaho.

While this group size order may seem to place further restrictions on the recreating public, it may allow for National Forests to open some previously closed sites, and can provide an alternative to closing sites where social distancing cannot be ensured.



This Order will be effective on April 29, 2020 at 12:01 AM and shall remain in effect until May
31, 2020, or until rescinded, whichever event occurs first.
athelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #63
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 74
Notification from Forest Service...So it looks like if your out of state you can't comply with Stage 2. Stage 3 will lift this. Can you guys confirm my reading.......

As we work through an unpredictable and rapidly changing situation, health and safety is our priority. We are committed to continuing support for our communities and fulfilling our mission as we work together to minimize the impacts and spread of COVID-19.

The Salmon-Challis National Forest is making plans to begin issuing permits for launch dates of May 16 and beyond to float the Salmon River and the Middle Fork of the Salmon River. This date aligns with Stage Two of Idaho Governor Brad Little’s plan to re-open the state.

Permits may be issued if the trip leader can certify the group’s willingness and ability to meet and follow the health and safety guidelines for health, social distancing, cleaning, and travel as outlined by the State of Idaho and the CDC .

Prior to receiving your permit, you will be required to certify that you and your trip participants can and will:

• Meet and follow the health and safety guidelines for health, social distancing, cleaning, and travel as outlined by the State of Idaho, the CDC , and any closure orders issued by the Forest ;

• Certify agreement of the Terms and Conditions of the permit, including the Addendum;

• Certify the group’s ability and willingness to comply with the permit addendum;

• Accept responsibility as the permit holder to modify your trip as necessary in order to adhere to the stipulations listed above;

• Acknowledge and accept that it is your responsibility and your duty as the permit holder to stay up-to-date on the latest information issued by the State of Idaho and the CDC ;

• Ensure all craft will be clean, drained and dry before going into the river;

• Ensure all required craft have a State of Idaho Aquatic Invasive Species sticker;

• Carry and use the required equipment; porta-potty, fire pan, ash container, strainer, shovel, and bucket;

• Avoid congregating at hot springs, boat ramps and other high-use areas;

• Provide your trip participants with a wilderness ethics orientation before launching (an outline will be included with your permit);

• Send trip participants the link to this video, The Middle Fork of the Salmon River, home of the Shoshone-Bannock Tuka-Deka, to watch prior to leaving home.

Ready to go boating?

At least seven (7) days prior to your launch date, you need to:

• Update and finalize your reservation using your Recreation.gov account (employees will not have the ability to add people or days to the reservation);

• Prepare a list of desired campsites (at least two per night);

• Request issuance of your permit by sending an email with your name, launch date, a daytime phone number, your camp request list , as well as dates and times you are available for a phone call (between 9-5 MT, 7 days a week) to:

[email protected]
A Forest Service employee will determine camp assignments and will contact you to review your agreement to the terms and conditions of the permit, including the addendum. They will call the trip leader to provide the wilderness ethics talk before issuing the permit.

Once issued, your permit and addendum will be emailed to you for signature 3-5 days prior to the launch date. You will need to sign and return the permit and the addendum prior to your launch date. An electronic signature is acceptable; if you have difficulty with an e-signature, please state your acceptance of the terms and conditions in an email reply. Be sure to take a copy of your permit on the river with you.

Self-sufficiency will be a critical component of trip planning. The launch sites, guard stations, and Newland Ranch are not open. Restrooms are not open and may be locked, water is not available, the SCAT machines are closed, and there are no dumpsters. We recommend bringing everything possible (food and equipment) from home to minimize local interactions and to reduce supply impacts on small communities.

The road to Boundary Creek is still covered by snow.

The fish trap has been installed in Marsh Creek.

Earthquakes and aftershocks have rattled the Marsh Creek/Cape Horn/Boundary Creek area. Multiple debris slides and hazards should be anticipated, but there have not been any recent reports; please use an abundance of caution.

The bottom boards of the Boundary Creek boat ramp were removed last fall to prevent damage during high water. Once the ramp is accessible, boaters are welcome to extend the boards, but please return them to their location underneath the ramp before leaving.

The SCAT machine at Newland Ranch is currently closed.

Local managers are continually monitoring and assessing the situation and adapting to this ever-changing world we are experiencing. The permit issuing process may evolve if conditions change. Our actions are based on the best available medical advice for cleaning per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and to promote social distancing. For tips from the CDC on preventing illnesses like the coronavirus, go to: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html.

We ask for your understanding and patience as we do our best to provide a wild and scenic recreation opportunity in the Frank Church—River of No Return Wilderness during these uncertain times.

We also understand that this is an unprecedented situation, and that people can be affected in many ways; as essential personnel, as “at-risk” individuals, or those heeding our nation’s call to stay at home.

If you wish to cancel your reservation during this time of uncertainty, you will also be eligible for a “roll-over” for your launch date for 2021 if your launch was reserved before April 15. Prepaid recreation fees will be automatically refunded; however, the $6 reservation fee will not. After submitting a cancellation, you should see a reservation cancellation confirmation email and a receipt for the recreation fee refund soon after it’s processed.

Once you receive your cancellation email, you may request a roll-over spot. To do this, forward your cancellation email to: [email protected] with a request to hold that launch date for you in 2021. Be sure to include your name and a daytime phone number. Roll-overs will be for the same date only; no exceptions.

Please continue to visit our web page for updates.

Wishing you good health.
jamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #64
 
Waterhopper's Avatar
 
Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 38
[QUOTE=jamesg;770697]Notification from Forest Service...So it looks like if your out of state you can't comply with Stage 2. Stage 3 will lift this. Can you guys confirm my reading.......



If you wish to cancel your reservation during this time of uncertainty, you will also be eligible for a “roll-over” for your launch date for 2021 if your launch was reserved before April 15. Prepaid recreation fees will be automatically refunded; however, the $6 reservation fee will not. After submitting a cancellation, you should see a reservation cancellation confirmation email and a receipt for the recreation fee refund soon after it’s processed.

Wow, so permit holders will be able to "roll-over" their 2020 dates for 2021. Lucky. Since I wasn't fortunate enough to win a permit this year, that means my chances for next year are even lower.
Waterhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #65
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 95
This is from this morning. The photographer said 2' on the level. With a hard freeze forecast in Stanley most nights this week, I'm starting to have concerns about our 5/16 launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Road to Boundary Ck[10705].jpg
Views:	223
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	45949  
Infidien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #66
 
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Hi all,
This is a very helpful thread, I haven't done this area before and I've been invited on a trip also leaving May 24. But from what I see here it's looking quite unlikely we'll be able to do it between the road conditions, earthquakes, and covid-19.
Has anyone been able to determine yet how badly the river is blocked up above Boundary? It kind of sounds like even going from Marsh Creek will require portaging at best, and is there a chance of doing Bear Valley Creek down? Or is that also where the blockage from the avalanche is?
Reds desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #67
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds desert View Post
Hi all,
This is a very helpful thread, I haven't done this area before and I've been invited on a trip also leaving May 24. But from what I see here it's looking quite unlikely we'll be able to do it between the road conditions, earthquakes, and covid-19.
Has anyone been able to determine yet how badly the river is blocked up above Boundary? It kind of sounds like even going from Marsh Creek will require portaging at best, and is there a chance of doing Bear Valley Creek down? Or is that also where the blockage from the avalanche is?
There is no confirmed report that the river is 'blocked'. There were several avalanches with debris that made it to the river as happens every year.

If you can make it to Bear Valley you will likely be able to make it Boundary.
We did have a tremendous blow come thru the area a few days ago and I expect to see a LOT of wood on the road. In doing some exploring around Stanley over the weekend I saw a lot of wood debris on the main highways which don't have trees as close to the road as the one into Boundary.

I have done Marsh multiple times. Without a thorough fly over and a really good crew that had boated together, I wouldn't even want to think about it this year. I can almost guarantee there will be significant wood up there as well.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #68
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 74
Confirmed with FS that each trip between 5/16-5/29 must certify that they will comply with Stage 2 Idaho restrictions. Stage 3 lifts the out of state requirement, but I believe the group sizes still need to be 10 or less.

https://rebound.idaho.gov/stages-of-reopening/

We had a 5/24 and we were able to meet all guidelines except the 14 day quaratine upon arrival in Idaho. Our crew is from CO and WY.

Thus we cancelled. Hope an Idahoan picked it up and has a great trip. Can't wait till I can visit your state again.
jamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #69
 
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks for all the information. We have a May 18 launch date. Currently, a group of 10 self support boaters who have done Marsh a handful of times but definitely hearing the concerns about it this year with the recent earthquakes and slides. Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
miamicane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #70
 
Eagle, Idaho
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 21
Assuming we don't make it to stage 3 by the end of June, do you think the person from out of state can self-quarantine in Idaho for 14 days before the trip and meet the requirement?
jpurkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
access

« FREE PFDs | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.