2020 Middle Fork Hazards and Access Thread - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #51

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I am one of the few that can say I can get to and from the middle fork without having to make a single stop.. If our June second falls through I picked up a sept 2nd.. Talk about two different trips.. I love the middle fork for so many reasons but the quick trip to the put in and the faster trip home are great..

I am very interested in what if any changes have gone on up there... There where a lot of rocks very large rocks on the salmon river road.. A coworker hiked down the trail from corn creek a ways last weekend and said there where a lot of new large rocks down there... I imagine trail crews will have their work cut out for them.

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #52

SLC, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
The earthquakes are also still far from over. 489 quakes over 2.5 and counting in the last 30 days, 13 in the last 24 hours. Today there was a 3 almost right on the boundary creek road. I got woke up again last week by a 4.2 here in salmon. we have a June second launch.
A 3 point or even 4 point temblor is very unlikely to damage a dirt road in any way. Even culverts, embankments, and hanging rocks ready to fall need more than a little shake like that.

Remember that each point on the scale is 31 times more energy than the point below. So a 6 is 31 times more energetic than a mere 5. And a 6, like the one that set this off, is 1000 times more energetic than a 4.
UtahBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #53

Big Sky, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
MT4Runner. Don't give up!!!!! I have a May 26th and we are getting in there. The quaratine is the only issue.....not the access. Banner Summit looks to be in your favor for the 24th. Shoot me a message if you want to talk further. The snowpack is below average and the weather looks perfect to open that bitch up.
sbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #54

Moab, Utah
I'm feeling optimistic of a Marsh creek launch on May 23, possibly just a self supported kayak run. It'll make portaging the new landslide waterfalls a little less of a headache!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #55

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
I'm not trying to be a Debi Downer here but snow pack is not the issue with the road to Boundary. Avalanches that occurred may be the problem. I am attaching pictures of the slides that happened during the main quake and aftershocks. Keep in mind that Boundary creek rd. is between the epicenter and these slides on Hwy 21.
Click image for larger version

Name:	5e91130e502f7.image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	45773Click image for larger version

Name:	d98f09d3-ad40-4fed-9a86-e0671b2ce783-large16x9_ScreenShot20200403at12.45.33.png
Views:	114
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	45775Click image for larger version

Name:	d8676a3f-6c4d-4dea-b982-c44f939a6d7d-large16x9_Idaho_Avalanche4.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	45777Click image for larger version

Name:	itd quake.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	45779
If there are debris slides across the road that require heavy equipment the FS won't clear that until the road is dry. For those of us who have gone in and opened the road early know that snow, trees and small rocks can be dealt with. Going in with a loader or back-hoe would be very much frowned upon by the Forest Service and result strict access rules to be implemented for the future. Believe me, If I pick up an early permit in the next couple of weeks I will be sharpening my shovels.
bsimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #56

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I posted these pics on the earthquake post but will put them here.. This is the salmon river road going to corn creek. a long ways from the epicenter.
Attached Images

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #57

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I get bsimcoe's point about the avalanches and landslides and understand that the FS will be slow to get the road open in that situation, so my question is that if that is the case what does the time frame look like? Mid to late June?
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #58

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle Iraq View Post
what does the time frame look like?

That is the one million dollar question every year.
IDriverRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #59

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
what does the time frame look like? Mid to late June?
This thread is up every season for this very reason.
Lots of science...even more speculation, and really it just comes down to luck.

My guess? I would assume early June if this is a normal year.
Mid June seems more likely as COVID will likely slow the FS' response with heavy equipment should it be needed.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #60

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Quote:
I get bsimcoe's point about the avalanches and landslides and understand that the FS will be slow to get the road open in that situation, so my question is that if that is the case what does the time frame look like? Mid to late June?
I'd say call the Forest Service but maybe pinging Mother Nature on this one may get you better answers.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access

« FREE PFDs | - »