2020 Middle Fork Hazards and Access Thread - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #41

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Plagues and Earthquakes

If you are planning on an early or mid May launch you will be doing a fly-in or a Marsh creek launch (good luck after the earthquakes) The condition of the road to Boundary creek remains unknown. The amount of snow (alone) this winter and spring up there pretty much means the road won't open til last week of May. Then we will need to find out what damage to the road if any has been caused by the earthquakes. One rock slide or wash-out and you will be waiting on the FS to clear the road. How we are going to handle the quarantine thing remains to be seen but Blaine and Custer counties do not have the ability to handle a summer invasion. There is still a 14 day isolation order and talk of continuing that through the summer. We got hammered(Covid-19) as did most resort communities at the end of ski season. We had the highest rate per capita in the nation for most of March and we would really like to not have that happen again. That being said... the damage caused by the earthquake is the biggest unknown and will remain so for at least a couple more weeks. CarveDog and I will be some the first to know because of our proximity to the area and if I hear anything we will post it.

bsimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #42

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
The earthquakes are also still far from over. 489 quakes over 2.5 and counting in the last 30 days, 13 in the last 24 hours. Today there was a 3 almost right on the boundary creek road. I got woke up again last week by a 4.2 here in salmon. we have a June second launch. https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...t%22%3Anull%7D
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #43

Hailey, Idaho
Exactly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #44

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimcoe View Post
If you are planning on an early or mid May launch you will be doing a fly-in or a Marsh creek launch (good luck after the earthquakes) The condition of the road to Boundary creek remains unknown. The amount of snow (alone) this winter and spring up there pretty much means the road won't open til last week of May. Then we will need to find out what damage to the road if any has been caused by the earthquakes. One rock slide or wash-out and you will be waiting on the FS to clear the road. How we are going to handle the quarantine thing remains to be seen but Blaine and Custer counties do not have the ability to handle a summer invasion. There is still a 14 day isolation order and talk of continuing that through the summer. We got hammered(Covid-19) as did most resort communities at the end of ski season. We had the highest rate per capita in the nation for most of March and we would really like to not have that happen again. That being said... the damage caused by the earthquake is the biggest unknown and will remain so for at least a couple more weeks. CarveDog and I will be some the first to know because of our proximity to the area and if I hear anything we will post it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
The earthquakes are also still far from over. 489 quakes over 2.5 and counting in the last 30 days, 13 in the last 24 hours. Today there was a 3 almost right on the boundary creek road. I got woke up again last week by a 4.2 here in salmon. we have a June second launch.
Thank you so much guys.

I've been paying a little more attention this year than others since I had a potential launch 5/24, but at the time COVID hit and then the big snowstorm 3 weeks ago, I pretty much figured it was not going to happen.

Add in earthquakes and the damn thing got crazy interesting. Frankly, I'm more interested in this as an academic exercise than anything, and it's probably a once-in-a-lifetime (hopefully!) perfect storm of shit hitting the fan.

bsimcoe, I hope your hospital staff is starting to recover, I'm sure it's been a hellish couple of months for them. Here in Kalispell, beds are only 25% full and a large number of nurses were laid off. Damned if you do...

Thanks again for the updates.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #45

Hailey, Idaho
Several of the aftershocks align with the drainage that slides so much, not far from the summit. That's the problem area(avalanche) for getting the road open. From the damage I have seen in the northern part of the Sawtooths there is no way there isn't some road damage. Shoveling snow is the least of our worries.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #46

Hailey, Idaho
Hospital staff as far as I know has recovered, but if we get hit by people traveling to the great outdoors this summer we will get hammered again. If these small communities get hit with the typical thousands of visitors that come, even if just passing through we will be in trouble again. Everybody needs to plan a staycation in your own neck of the woods this year.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #47

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimcoe View Post
Several of the aftershocks align with the drainage that slides so much, not far from the summit. That's the problem area(avalanche) for getting the road open. From the damage I have seen in the northern part of the Sawtooths there is no way there isn't some road damage. Shoveling snow is the least of our worries.
Bsimcoe. I get it, I’m a doc and have been taking care of Covid patients, and not many more, as our hospital and clinics have o/w mostly shut down. There was no intention in my post of belittling the current issues, including the earthquakes which frankly I forgot about. Just thinking about better times both in the past and to come, and enjoying talking about something other than a virus.

Jon Snider
Colo Springs
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #48

Hailey, Idaho
Duct Tape, I wasn't singling out any one post. Someone else was showing some interest in our local healthcare providers and I was giving them my humble opinion. This is the access and safety forum and the Middle Fk. thread so since +/- 80% access the The Middle Fk. through my community and involves having a safe summer for all of us I think this is a great forum to share local concerns. The current geological phenomena is going to be a big part of even getting to the ramp this spring. I hope there is still a ramp
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #49

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
All, I can't say enough how much I appreciate the respectful exchange of information that has been lacking in some other recent threads.

I must be in the 20% minority who gets to the MF through Custer county. haha

I hear your concerns bsimcoe and am currently making plans to recreate on my own local Middle Fork (Flathead) which I've daytripped forever but never once done an overnight/multiday.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #50

Hailey, Idaho
Its going to be an interesting summer.

Tags
access

« FREE PFDs | - »