2019 Middle Fork Hazards and Access Thread - Page 8 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2019   #71

Morgantown, West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavukavu View Post
Finished a Marsh/Middle/Main trip on Friday. We launched on Marsh Creek on 5/13 with seven kayakers. No portages on Marsh were necessary, but a lot of wood everywhere. We passed the raft/kayak group that ran into trouble around 10:30am on Monday on Marsh. None of us ran Dagger, not due to wood, but because the looks of the hole. No wood in Pistol on morning of 5/14. Big thanks to Justin and Nick from McCall for leading the way.
Thanks for the report!

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019   #72

MFS update 2019

we were a group of 5 self-support kayakers,

We launched 5/13 in the evening and camped 3 miles down Marsh at the first Avalanche slide area. Portaged one log at the site on Marsh where the large jam was last year that got the raft. This year the jam is on the left of the creek. Sounds like it might have broke loose.
There was another considerable jam on river left at the bottom of the Sluice Box, (Canyon Rapid) on Marsh. We were able to run the drop and go right safely. no other portages up high were necessary, We portaged Dagger, (as always) and many of us elected to portage Pistol as well due to the Pungee stick log protruding out of the wall in the river left eddy. This was at 6.5'. so its likely not even there now.

Lots of avalanche slides that were blown clear but continue to deposit wood into the river both in Marsh and on the MF proper. The good news is that most of that lumber is pulverized and relatively short so its not as likely to hang up but most corners and debris magnets are well-stocked with wood. I'm sure conditions will continue to change with a fluctuation in flows.
shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019   #73

Also, almost every large eddy had wood circulating in it so be aware when pulling into an eddy that you might not be alone in it.
shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #74

Lindon, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
What is latest on the road? Thanks!
idahoriversrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #75

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Thus just came across my facebook feed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1558641563088.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	35373  
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #76

salmon, Idaho
That was posted by the owner of middlefork wildness outfitters 3 hrs ago

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #77

salmon, Idaho
Sounds like the pic was from yesterday... they have a launch on the 4th and are going to try again this weekend..

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #78

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Need the "CarveDog" analysis

We have a launch date of 6/4 and are on the lookout for the Boundary Creek road to melt out. With the current weather, it's going down to the wire for the road to open.

CarveDog always has the best view of what the probabilities are, so what is your best guess? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Cheers,
Brian
sweencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #79

May 30th launch here.....all the photos seem to show lots of tire tracks through the snow? Are they making it the entire way to the river? The road drops in elevation as you get closer to the river I’m assuming? So less snow the farther you go? I’m planning to check the road out on the 27th-28th.....chains and 4x4? What are the odds the river stays where it’s at? Currently 4.7 feet or lower??
Elevatedexpeditions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #80
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevatedexpeditions View Post
May 30th launch here.....all the photos seem to show lots of tire tracks through the snow? Are they making it the entire way to the river? The road drops in elevation as you get closer to the river Iím assuming? So less snow the farther you go? Iím planning to check the road out on the 27th-28th.....chains and 4x4? What are the odds the river stays where itís at? Currently 4.7 feet or lower??
Have you never driven in? Just curious, not trying to start anything. No one has made it in. Elevation at the road is 6,700 feet. The pass you must go over is 7,200. And it goes thru some deep shade at the summit that holds snow. Only a foot deep at the highway. I guarantee it is three feet deep at the summit.

After that the road drops. There will be an avalanche debris pile about a mile form the summit that I am at least a bit concerned about. I would bring a chainsaw.

And a square scoop landscaper shovel and maybe an aluminum scoop shovel as well. Oh and your chains. And maybe a winch. And a lifted 4WD running tall tires. And some whiskey. And some ibuprofen....

The river will almost certainly rise next week with warming temps and get into more of a diurnal cycle where it will peak late evening and then go down.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote