Winter pool/roll session info, by region - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Commercial Posts

Old 02-10-2004   #1

Steamboat, Colorado
Winter pool/roll session info, by region

I've seen several posts lately from folks asking about pool sessions times and location. It seems it may useful to have a page listing all pool sessions around the state, if that's possible. So if have any info on pool sessions happening around your area, feel free to post a reply here and include time, location, and contact info if available. thanks, frenchy

---

FORT COLLINS

Mountain Shop has started its Sunday Pool Sessions again at the Mulberry
Pool in Ft. Collins. 5:30-7 Every Sunday til' the water starts flowin.
Cost: $5 unless you need gear, instruction,etc.

The Mountain Shop
970-493-5720
632 S Mason St.
Ft. Collins CO 80524

-------------------------------------------------

RMA will be doing their Mulberry Pool sessions at 3pm on Sundays this season. They will last until 4:30.

Rocky Mountain Adventures
970-493-4005
www.shoprma.com
[email protected]

Kayak Polo

Where: EPIC (Eldora Pool and Ice Center), 1801 Riverside, Ft Collins, Colorado
When: January 22nd through March 11th 2004 - 8:45 to 10:45pm
All other info: http://kayakpolo.com/ftcollins/more.shtml

April pool sessions at Epic Pool, Fort Collins

This just in from Marty. For more information, contact Marty directly at: [email protected]:

"Looks like the Play Pen will work out (the shallow end). We have 4 weeks - Thurs Apr 1 to 22 from 8:30-10:15. $5/person/night paid at the score table BEFORE THEY GET ON THE WATER. Folks must also sign a waiver BEFORE THEY GET ON THE WATER. Space is limited to about 15 people. The small pools (in addition to the shallow end) are better for roll teaching. All boats must be well rinsed before they are brought into the pool. There is a hose at the west end entrance for people to use."

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Pool Sessions in Colorado Springs

COLORADO SPRINGS

---
This previously posted by Red on Sat Jan 17, 2004:
https://mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=393
---

For those interested in pool session in the Colorado SPrings area, they start Tuesday, January 20. See below, or the club's website at www.pikespeakwhitewaterclub.com for more information. Hope to see you at the pool!

PLACE
Cheyenne Mountain High School Aquatics Center
(same place as last year)

DAY and TIME
Tuesdays, 7:15 PM to 9:15 PM

DATES
January 20, 27, February 3, 10, 17, 24, March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, and April 6

The 2004 Pikes Peak Whitewater Club Membership structure will be as follows:
Non-pool using membership - $10.00
Non-member single pool use - $5.00
Individual (all pool sessions) - $40.00
Family (2 people) - $55.00
Family (2 or more people) - $55.00 plus $5 for each additional over 2

So, you ask, what do I get for my membership dues?
Up to 12 pool sessions, depending on when you start or how many you choose to attend. Scheduled dates are January 20, 27, February 3, 10, 17, 24, March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, and April 6.

Membership to the American Canoe Association.

A free subscription to Paddler Magazine.

A free outfitters card from Grand West Outfitters which entitles you to a 10% discount on non-sale items in their store. To receive your card inquire at the front desk. Give us a couple weeks to get an updated membership list to them once you join the club.

Access to at least two boat demo nights courtesy of Colorado Kayak Supply. Scheduled nights are February 4th and March 4th.

A discount at Colorado Kayak Supply. Give us a couple weeks to get an updated membership list to them once you join the club.

The club newsletter, usually sent out 4 to 6 times a year. The opportunity to meet a lot of neat people with similar interests (kayaking that is).

If you’re a beginner, assistance in learning your roll, learning what the sport is all about, where to go to boat, opportunities to get on the river, etc.

Fun times, what more could you ask for?
Old 02-10-2004   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
RMOC WINTER CLASSES AND POOL TIMES 2004

GOLDEN

Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center 2005 Winter Pool Season Information

Starting January 13th, 2005 RMOC will kick off the winter pool season at the Golden Community Center. RMOC will be offering three different types of programs January through May in the pool. These will include an Introduction to Kayaking class, a Roll Tune Up program, and Open Pool times. A description of each program follows.

OPEN POOL INFORMATION
Open pool times are designed for boaters who have a complete understanding of how to safely perform a basic self rescue in flat water i.e. a wet exit. If you are not comfortable self rescuing please plan on taking an Introduction to Kayaking class offered consecutive Tuesday or Thursday nights or attending the open rolling session with a knowledgeable boater who will take the time to walk you through the basics of getting in and out of the boat above and below water.

Dates & Times
January: Every Thursday night from 7 to 9pm
February-May: Every Tuesday and Thursday night from 7 to 9pm

Cost
Open pool fee $10.00

Demo boats may be available to try at no cost. Demo boats may be used for short periods during the open time and do not include the use of a skirt or paddle.

Rental boats are available for $15 (includes pool fee) and include skirt and paddle. We have limited rental boats available please reserve ahead of time.

All Personal boats and gear need to be very clean before entering the pool.

Getting in the pool with gear
Enter the pool at the southwest corner of the building through the metal patio gate. Cross the patio, go up four stairs, and walk left into the pool. The changing rooms and shower are available.

A Kayak Instructor will be available to answer questions and help with roll practice if not involved with a scheduled class.

Making a Reservation - Call 720-933-3373
Reservations can be made up to two weeks in advance for open pool times and anytime for up coming classes.

The maximum number of open boaters will be held to only 15 people per 2-hour session to eliminate crowding and to give everyone room to move around.

Walk-ins welcome if space is available.

The Golden Community Center 1470 10th St, Golden Colorado 80401
Main pool on the south deck

Direction from I-70 heading west:
Take the Golden exit (Hwy 5 heading west to the Washington Ave exit. Turn left (south), go three blocks to 10th street and turn right (west). Continue up 10th until the road curves back north. At this point turn right into the parking lot of the Community Center.

Direction from 6th Ave heading west:
Take 6th Ave west past I-70 and Colfax. Continue following 6th Ave as it curves around to the north. Turn right (east) at 19th street and then left (north) at Washington Ave. Proceed through town 9 blocks turning left (west) at 10th street. Continue up 10th until the road curves back north. At this point turn right into the parking lot of the Community Center.

INTRODUCTION TO KAYAKING CLASS
Learn the basics of kayaking and get started on your roll in the comfort of a heated pool. This four hour, two-part class will lead the beginner boater through an easy to understand progression eliminating confusion and frustration.

Participants will learn about equipment used in kayaking as well as foundation skills to safely perform wet exits. The concept of boat control and movement will be introduced along with methods of rolling a kayak. Equipment and instruction will be provided by Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center.

Golden Pool Rolling Class Fact Sheet Two-Night Class
Who should take this class: there are no prerequisites; anyone comfortable in the water wanting to get started in the sport of kayaking is welcome.

Dates
January 6&13, 20&27; February 1&8, 17&24; March 1&8,17&24; April 5&12, 21&28

Time
Classes run from 7pm to 9pm either consecutive Tuesday or Thursday (class starts 7pm pool side so get there a little early to change).

Check in with the front desk as you come in the building. After changing in the dressing rooms check in with the kayak instructor in the pool.

Cost
Fee for REI members or Golden residents is $75. The general public is $85. These prices include all equipment and entry fees into the pool.

What to bring
General pool stuff (towel, swimsuit/trunks, etc.)
Athletic swimwear (some people like a layer to keep warm like poly pro or neoprene)

Other good things to have
Nose plugs (help keep the water out of the sinuses)
Swim goggles (lets you watch under water)

Bringing Kayaks
If participants are going to bring their own kayaks they need to be completely clean inside and out.

Folks need to be ready to be in the pool both nights for two hours.

ROLLING TUNE-UP
The tune-up session is designed to meet the needs of the boater who has previously worked on rolling and would like further instruction and review to reach their personal goals. This Rolling Tune-up class will help find and eliminate bad habits. Whether you are doing a C to C or Sweep Roll, discover ways to make it smooth and consistent. Don’t let a poor roll hold your boating back.

Dates & Time
Available by reservation Tuesdays & Thursday nights February – May from 7-9 pm

Cost
With own equipment $30 / renting equipment $35

The Golden Community Center 1470 10th St, Golden Colorado 80401
Main pool on the south deck

Direction from I-70 heading west:
Take the Golden exit (Hwy 5 heading west to the Washington Ave exit. Turn left (south), go three blocks to 10th street and turn right (west). Continue up 10th until the road curves back north. At this point turn right into the parking lot of the Community Center.

Direction from 6th Ave heading west:
Take 6th Ave west past I-70 and Colfax. Continue following 6th Ave as it curves around to the north. Turn right (east) at 19th street and then left (north) at Washington Ave. Proceed through town 9 blocks turning left (west) at 10th street. Continue up 10th until the road curves back north. At this point turn right into the parking lot of the Community Center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Open Pool Kayaking in Boulder

BOULDER

City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Adventure Program

When: Sunday nights 5-6:30 p.m. from Febuary through April
(excluding Easter Sunday)

Where: East Boulder Community Center - 5660 Sioux Drive

Come to the EBCC pool and work on your kayaking skills for the boating season. Sessions are limited to 15 boats in the pool.

There are non-instructed sessions but a staff member and a lifeguard will be on duty.

A waiting list will be maintained by call-in and walk-in. Waiting list participants will be allowed in if spaces are available. Registered spaces will be forfeited at 5:15pm with no refund. Waiting list participants pay full price. Locker room facilities are available during these sessions.

Fees:
Admission only $8 residents/ $10 non-residents

With Boat Rental: $10 Residents/ $13 non-residents

Call 303-441-3413 for more information
Old 02-10-2004   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Meyers pool sessions

DENVER

---
The original thread:
https://mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=320
---

Meyers pool is now open for the season!

I was there last Sunday.

Open pool is from 3-7 p.m. on Sundays.

The cost is $6.50 payable to the lifeguards. Although I understand this pool time is sponsored by CWWA, no one ever inquires about whether the pool users are members. I am sure everyone reading this has joined CWWA anyway or will this season.

Directions: once in Arvada get to Wadsworth and 80th. West on 80th to Carr [approx 3 blocks]. South [left] on Carr. 2 short blocks, go left into the parking lot just as the road begins to rise and turn right. It is easy to find and there are signs as well.

All boats seem to be welcome. Last week there were fiberglass squirt boats, plastic playboats, inflatable kayaks, and older RPM's. It was a great scene.
Old 02-12-2004   #6

ski/kayak bum
gunnison/crested butte
Western State College Pool
7pm
tuesdays
free for students
nominal fee for nonstudents (2 dollars, I think)
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004   #7

BRECKENRIDGE - SUMMIT COUNTY

The Summit Kayak School based in Silverthorne, Colorado, offers a two-hour intro to kayak and roll session at the Breckenridge Recreation Center every Thursday evening from 6:30 PM - 8:45 PM.

Advance registration required. Please call the Breckenridge Recreation Center at 970.453.1734

Any general questions can be directed to the SKS/CKS shop in Silverthorne at 970.513.9104
outdoorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #8
Max Young

Denver, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via Skype™ to madmaxyoung
Introductory Kayak Courses

DENVER

Open pool time is available during Renaissance Adventure Guides normal clinic hours. Limited space is available on a reservation basis only. Cost is $5, no gear included but rentals are available from Mountain Miser for $13 (boat, paddle and skirt for the evening).

Our basics clinic is offered on Sunday evenings from 6:30-8:30pm at the Sheridan Recreation Center. This class is tailored to the never-ever kayaker and teaches the skills of the wet exit, paddle strokes, hip-snap, bracing, and T-rescue.

Our roll clinic is offered on Thursday evenings from 7:00-9:00pm at the Englewood Recreation Center. This class is for those who have basic paddle skills and are looking to learn the roll or improve their roll.

Our river course is offered on Tuesday evenings from 5:30-7:30pm; river location dependent on water levels. Take all of the skills that you have learned in the basics and roll clinics and apply them to moving water. Work on manuevering the kayak through all forms of moving water and practive your roll if you have one. The ability to roll is not required for this class.

Take one, two, or all three of the courses on your own schedule. Private instruction is also available. Please see our website www.raguides.com for more information, or to register call Max at 303-257-9566.
madmaxyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #9

LaPorte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
In addition to pool sessions, don't forget that Mandy's "dry land paddling" offers a great early season workout and muscle memory tune up, or a no stress introduction to Eskimo rolling.

Check it out at http://www.creativepursuits.net/kayaking.htm.

One satisfied reader wrote: "I've watched so many clips and read all the books about rolling my kayak but your site is the best one I have found It truly shows me what I needed to know... And made it so easy..."
mandyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #10

LaPorte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
PADDLERS EVERYWHERE

Reposted to make link work:

In addition to pool sessions, don't forget that Mandy's "dry land paddling" offers a great early season workout and muscle memory tune up, or a no stress introduction to Eskimo rolling.

Check it out at http://www.creativepursuits.net/kayaking.htm

One satisfied reader wrote: "I've watched so many clips and read all the books about rolling my kayak but your site is the best one I have found It truly shows me what I needed to know... And made it so easy..."
mandyk is offline   Reply With Quote