New whitewater search engine - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-28-2010   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
New whitewater search engine

I got fed up with Google's results for kayak related topics always giving me stupid flatwater or fishing stuff I didn't care about (let alone searching for boats like the 420 or the Dominatrix) so I made my own search engine for whitewater enthusiasts. Its just a whitelist of sites made using Google Custom Search tools so far but I figured other people might find it useful. It only costs me $20 a year to make it public so I figured why not.

Whitewatersearch.com is where its at. Feel free to give it a try and tell your friends. Also, please please please let me know what sites I am missing. Anything at all, let me know and I'll try to get bugs fixed/sites added by the end of the week.

Whitewater Search Engine

Nik.

(Also, so far this is entirely non-commercial. I have to have google's ads on it b/c of google's rules.)

pilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010   #2

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
http://www.austinkayak.com

They have good prices on some gear. Also good service. Received my order in 3 days via snail mail.

http://www.kayakproshop.com

This is where I order my paddles from. Also good prices and customer service.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #3

Fredericksburg, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2006
Sweet, Thanks!!!!
Adventure51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010   #4

Fredericksburg, Virginia
Appomattox River Company. They have tons of kayaks and for cheap. I just bought a 2011 Habitat for $625 new.
Canoe and Kayak Superstore, The Appomattox River Company
Adventure51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #6

great idea for a site! google sucks when it comes to searching whitewater related topics. typically when i'm looking for beta on a creek i have to search several pages back to find a blog or website with the proper info.

keep in mind that for many (less known) runs, blogs currently provide the best info. i would update your site with as many whitewater blogs as possible. todd gilman's blog T h e R a n g e L i f e is a great resource for pac NW runs. gorgehits.com is good too. professorpaddle.com

not sure if i'm on the same wavelength here, but for example: when i type "dipper creek" into your search engine, i get a few sites but nothing related to the run itself. T h e R a n g e L i f e should be on the first page as well as coloradokayak.blogspot and the vimeo and youtube links. sites with the most relevant data for the run.

coloradokayaking.com does not show up for some of the searches

downstreamedge.wordpress

thenexthorizonline.blogspot

boof.com

rfkayakers.com

kayakingross.com

just a few to check out

gear is easy to find... run info, not always. people blog about everything these days and sometimes the blogs are the best ways to find new runs.
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #7

heres a big list of whitewater sites
Respect
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #8

Golden, Colorado
Holy Cow! Thanks everyone for all of these awesome sites. Now that I'm back from a New Years vacation, I'm adding to the crawler way faster than I'm updating the sites page (probably have close to 150 in the crawler) so please keep checking to see if the results are improving.

@seanlee: Thanks for the blogs, I'll be adding those tonight. I tried searching for "dipper creek" and you were right, try adding "" to your query to see if it helps (hopefully it will be better tomorrow too after I add some of those blogs)

@BrianK: OMG thank you for that list! Give me a day or two to take a look at all of them and get them in. Gah I need to get a faster way to add sites. "WhitewaterSearch this" firefox plugin, added to the todo list. haha.

Concerning video's, I'm not really sure how I go about adding vimeo/youtube stuff besides adding them individually (which won't work). I could try to do something like "tag = whitewater" but I don't really know how that will work. If anyone knows of how I could do this please let me know. For the moment, its blog posts.

Whitewater Search - Search for whitewater, rapids, and river levels
pilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #9

Golden, Colorado
Thanks again for all of these. I have all of your links included except for the Respect page where I'm about 1/4 done adding those(I'll have anther go at it tonight). Any other recommendations for the site?

I am trying out a theory for searching for videos but it will be a while before I get it up, just stay posted.
Old 01-08-2011   #10

Golden, Colorado
Finally I made it through all of the tribe.ca Respect page. All of those sites that are whitewater are in the engine. 230 sites and counting. Thanks to everyone who has been giving me feedback.

Hope it is serving people well, and feel free to let me know if there is anything I could do to make it better.

Tags
search engine, website, whitewater, whitewatersearch.com