Math Instructor Opening with Huge Experiences' New River Academy - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Commercial Posts

Old 06-21-2010   #1

Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
Math Instructor Opening with Huge Experiences' New River Academy

New River Academy is seeking a qualified math instructor. For more information surf to New River Academy.

You may also contact David Hughes direct: 304-640-1001 or [email protected].

go huge kayaking,

David Hughes

gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
LOL, river academy. That's where you find some underfunded school in the middle of nowhere to sign off on the high school diploma for the bratty kids who don't learn anything right? I have seen so many graduates of these ski and kayak academies completely fail once they get to college. They simply are not learning the basic foundations of a higher education.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #3

Marco I think you are wrong on this one. New River is a legit school. Not only are the kids learning regular school material, but they are learning huge life skills that will help them throughout their carrears. They have the opportunity to travel all over the world and get a global education while learning the regular stuff too.

But thats just my opinion, I wish i could have gone to school here, and I know some people who have taught there and it looks like a blast!
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010   #4

Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
Addressing Marco's Perspective

Marco at first I have to admit I was a little frustrated about your comment. But the more I thought about it the more it was realized that this is a perspective that needs to be addressed.

I agree with you that there are frustratingly poor academic programs out there. Public school systems are overcrowded and underfunded causing a plethora of educational disadvantages. This has caused a surge of alternative education programs... and yes you are right many are sadly less than college prepatory. But let's not throw New River Academy's advanced academics program into that mix without doing some research.

For the above reasons New River Academy was founded as an advanced academic solution. We are in agreement about the state of our nations education. And yes, New River Academy is expensive as most quality programs are. But New River Academy is a character development program that also offers financial aid via scholarships.

As a proud teacher, I am also a dedicated administrator, at New River Academy allow me to illustrate a couple of impressive points regarding the advanced academics. This years graduates earned 100% college acceptance letters to these institutions:
Tracy d'Arbeloff- Dartmouth College
Matt Hill- Colorado School of Mines and Engineering, $10,000 Merit Scholarship
Stephen Forster- Virginia Tech
Chase Simmons- University of Georgia Athens
Palmer Miller- Colgate
Brian Boyle- University of NH

This list of college acceptances alone should be a testament that New River Academy is recognized by the nations best universities as a top-shelf educational option.

With the academic concerns and points Marco makes it really is not that hard to outperform 90% of the nations schools. Here are a few New River Academy advantages.

A. Over 50% of New River Academy students receive college credit through our Advanced Placement program. New River Academy is a College Board approved Advanced Placement educational institution.
B. New River Academy offers a SAT course that places students over 150 points above the national SAT score average.
C. Individualized instruction from professional educators is proving to meet personal learning needs.
D. New River Academy seeks advanced students seeking honors and advanced instruction.
E. New River Academy offers jobs to quality inspirational instructors who care.

Marco... thank you for illustrating this perspective about our program and providing the opportunity to illustrate New River Academy's academic integrity. You have provided me with a learning opportunity today.

For more information here is a link to detailed academic info: New River Academy Academics Page

Now, can anyone recommend a qualified math instructor?

"And that has made all the difference."

David Hughes
gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #5

Nice reply David! I'm glad you took the high road and didn't just call that dipshit a dipshit.

I have a friend who did a similar program. He is doing very well at Daniel Webster and start his masters next week. The experience of travel is invaluable....... some jackass from the backwoods wouldn't understand this

see yinz on the Gauley
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #6

steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Marco,
As a student who went there (I am the Matt Hill that is going to Mines with the scholarship), I would have to agree with David, not only because it was my school, but from my point of view it was the best school i have ever been to. The small class sizes really foster a great learning experience for both the teachers and the students. the teachers are always willing to help with any problem and personal pace for learning is never a problem as well.
It is sad to see Andy go. I hope you replace him with some one equally as great Dave.
mattihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Esquandolis View Post
LOL, river academy. That's where you find some underfunded school in the middle of nowhere to sign off on the high school diploma for the bratty kids who don't learn anything right? I have seen so many graduates of these ski and kayak academies completely fail once they get to college. They simply are not learning the basic foundations of a higher education.

Bwwaaaaa. Pwned by gohuge.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #8

legend
I have worked with David Hughes and I know many kids that have gone to his school and have gone onto great colleges. David is very adamant about the academics at New River Academy and it shows in the maturity and intelligence of the kids that go to his school. This is one of the things that sets NRA apart from other traveling ski/kayak schools. I would say they get a better education than any public school and many private schools. Perhaps you should know more about what you are talking about before you bad mouth a hard honest worker trying to offer a great program for kids to get more out of life than what our public school system offers.
Thanks,
Nick Wigston
Downstream Edge
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #9

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
As a graduate of a Ski Racing Academy (BMA) I will confirm that these schools not only provide all the preparatory education necessary to excel in college and beyond, but more importantly require students to gain the valuable skills of independence and personal responsibility that other 'normal' schools simply cannot offer.
baggins424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #10

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohuge View Post
... We are in agreement about the state of our nations education...
Nah... we are not.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak high school