Kayakers, you ready to fish? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2011   #1

Kayakers, you ready to fish?

I was talking to some folks at Jackson Kayak yesterday about a new boat out from them called the Coosa. It may be of interest to some MB folks.

Most all kayak fishing boats are designed for fishermen first and not designed for kayakers. Meaning they are lower performance crafts that do not handle rivers too well. So Jackson is taking the new approach to make an easy to paddle kayak first ( that can handle up to class 4 ) that you can fish off of also.

Check out this video, it is only 1 minute.

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011   #2

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
with all due respect, who would paddle that down class 4? I just can't see myself telling someone (or myself) "oh yeah, you'll be good to go in that" at the put-in for any of the class 4 runs I know of. What happens when you flip?
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #3

Yes, not a class 4 focus. And not for new paddlers in class 4. But for core paddlers looking for an alternative craft. To still kayak down river, but then have a chance to eddy out and fish.

They show in this video it can be run down harder whitewater. The Coosa will be more for class 2 and 3 to get you down to cool fishing spots. They are marketing it for kayakers who are very comfortable running down class 2 and 3, now can do the same runs and fish hard to get to areas.

Of course if you did go over in a rapid, you would have to climb back on. It is self bailing and buoyant. Just like a Ducky ( IK ) or sit on top. Both of which are super popular on class 3-4 runs like Brown's, Shoshone, Westwater, etc....
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011   #4

ashland, Oregon
Sorry to appear arguementative (sp?) but Over 11' long, 31"wide and 60+lbs with a chair, class 4? Yes, I'm sure Dane Jackson can, but I paddle many hundreds of miles of class 4 runs a year and I wouldn't do it. I tried to picture running that down my local class 4; 150 yards of must make moves, eddy catching, hole avoiding and wave smashing and I'm thinking no way. Sure, I've seen duckys do it, but they are made for it; very little draft, lighter, lower center of gravity and thigh straps. Granted I could either be a chicken, stupid or plain wrong but that just sounds like marketing to me. I'll leave it at that.
Old 01-06-2011   #5

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I think class 5 paddlers would be able to paddle it on class 4 easily. I really don't see it as being much more challenging than paddling the old Perception Torrent sit-on-top. It looks like it can definitely perform on intermediate whitewater.

What I find so fascinating about this craft is how you can stand up on it. But I assume you'd want to be sitting and paddling when you encounter a class 4.

This thing makes me want to start spending more time with the rod and reel..
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Looks like the perfect solo vehicle for Jurassic Park
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I got to see this boat the other day. While fishing is not really my thing, the boat looks very well appointed for fishing and I see no problem with running rapids one grade lower than you might be comfortable with in a whitewater boat.

Kayakers who like to fish will love this boat. Like Jen said, it will sure get a lot more people get into jurrassic park.

That Jones guy is gonna hate this thing.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #8

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre View Post
I think class 5 paddlers would be able to paddle it on class 4 easily. I really don't see it as being much more challenging than paddling the old Perception Torrent sit-on-top. It looks like it can definitely perform on intermediate whitewater.

What I find so fascinating about this craft is how you can stand up on it. But I assume you'd want to be sitting and paddling when you encounter a class 4.

This thing makes me want to start spending more time with the rod and reel..

So a class 4 boater wouldn't ? w.t.f ? Are class 5 boater's really that bad-ass? I can't believe anyone would take an open deck hard kayak down anything harder than class 2 w/big waves. I grew up paddling this type of kayak in cali in the ocean and it sucked and is hard as hell to stand up in. I think the L.L. xp-10 would be a better choice if you must fish whitewater river's.
Old 01-06-2011   #9

ashland, Oregon
I'm sorry, but I can't leave it at that.
CKS guys, this would make a good video for your "review" section. Find a TYPICAL class 4 boater and have him pilot it down the 'Numbers' at a healthy flow next spring. Seeing is believing.
And if Farve or Dave are right that a class 5 boater could get this down boat class 4 with-out too much effort, that may make the original statement true (a bit misleading) but missing it's asterisk
*if you're competent in class 5
Old 01-06-2011   #10

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
What are you trying to say? Sure you can take anything down any river but that does not mean you should? And,yeah a class 4-5 boater might be able to do it but was it meant to paddle number's on the reg. and why would you fish the number's from a kayak anyway? All im trying to say ''pretener''is why market something to do more then it's limit, is that really safe? And what's up with ''if you're competent in class 5'' Who the hell is competent in class 5 that's why it's class 5. Sorry I stole that quote from Mr.Doug.A P.S not trying to start a pissing match with ya just couldn't leave it that way.