CNC Frame Fittings, Oar Towers, or anything else! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Commercial Posts

Old 03-26-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
CNC Frame Fittings, Oar Towers, or anything else!

Due to popular demand, I ended up making some high quality raft frame parts.

For everyone's convenience I put up a store on our website, from which all this stuff can be ordered directly.

There have been lively discussions in the Gear Forum about this stuff, but I figured I should throw the links to the site store in here.

http://wildgooseengineering.com/home/?page_id=64

I'll post when we put up new stuff, but check it out!

Obviously, I'm way open to new ideas, so let me know if there's anything you'd like to see!

Alexis

Zorba the Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for putting up the link to your site. Just wanted to make you aware that you didn't put the prices on the brackets. There is a price for the oar stands, but that is it. May want to add those in to make things easier.

Also, nice idea making use of the brackets for the seat mount, but will you actually be able to fit anything (drybox, cooler) under that mount like the DRE seats/mounts? Seems like these are too low to get anything under.

One last thing, any chance you'll be taking a shot at brackets for a single rail frame? I'm a fan of the NRS u-bolts on the lopros (and it seems you are too), but would like to see your take on them. Maybe you could find a way to make the lighter?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
Thanks for putting up the link to your site. Just wanted to make you aware that you didn't put the prices on the brackets. There is a price for the oar stands, but that is it. May want to add those in to make things easier.

Also, nice idea making use of the brackets for the seat mount, but will you actually be able to fit anything (drybox, cooler) under that mount like the DRE seats/mounts? Seems like these are too low to get anything under.

One last thing, any chance you'll be taking a shot at brackets for a single rail frame? I'm a fan of the NRS u-bolts on the lopros (and it seems you are too), but would like to see your take on them. Maybe you could find a way to make the lighter?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the slow reply-

Added in the prices and a real life pic of half of the oar tower- The anodize shop has been a serious thorn in my side, promising everything 'tomorrow' for a week and a half! To top it off, I just had to send a bunch back through because of obvious finish flaws- thankfully they're talking care of it quickly this time... Ideally I'll have the rest of the oar towers and the double rails for those waiting, tomorrow.

The idea behind the seat bracket is for either a 12" DRE drop bag, or to bring the spacing in a bit more and have it catch a couple rocket boxes. That would facilitate toilet storage or a couple of the upright pelican boxes for easy access dry storage.

Single brackets can be done if there's enough interest- how many do you want? They would definitely be lighter, but probably not by much. I was a little worried because they are patented, but the patent is just a design patent, so that means I just can't knock it off (which I wouldn't do anyway!) I hadn't really gone down that road yet mostly 'cause I already have a bunch, and they do work OK.

I definitely like the NRS- erector set flexibility, but (given what I do) wasn't happy with the fit and finish- Cast parts do a great job of being 'close enough' and more importantly, really cheap, but (thankfully) there are a folks out there where 'good enough' doesn't cut it, and quality trump the overall price point.

anyway- thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010   #4
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Sweet site! Soon as I get my shit toether to re-build my girlfreinds frame I'll be putting in an order!
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #5

Denver, Colorado
I'd be interested in 8 of them, but it would certainly depend on the price. I don't at all mind forking out the extra coin for a better product (especially if it is locally made), but I'm also not made of money, haha!

Anyone else interested in some sexy single rail brackets? Don't be shy!
Old 03-30-2010   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
seat brackets

if you make the seat bracket a fixed length I would make it such that the two tubes are far enough to put an ammo can/ eco-safe toilet lengthwise between them. or about 17" plus some length for the handles. Typical seat is going to be about 20" wide, plus 12" for two rocket boxes gives you 32" wide at the base of the frame if r/b are right up against the seat.

the approx 20" pipe - pipe center distance gives you plenty of room to slide the seat back/forward for adjustment depending on the user. I was assuming you'd have a slot in the bottom for the seat bolt/washers to slide in ...

the beauty of this is that the two crossbars (which can use lopros at the ends or your double rail bracket) will support the rowers weight and there is less flex than a single seat plate and less likely for the drill holes to ovalize and loosen up from the rowing torque. Also the rear tube (assuming far enough behind the seat back) gets to be used for cooler or drybox support so net amt of pipe is the same.

here is something to think about ... make your seat mounts be four identical pieces that u-bolt to the frame crossbars. Each seat mount is two piece construction with a hinge between them so they can pivot. You use simple 1/4" breakdown pins for the hinge. This allows you to remove two pins and you can flip the seat over. ... now you also sell spacers (which are like 2" thick cylindrical aluminum spacers (with bolt clearance hole in the middle of them). The user buys as many spacers as they need to clear their cooler or drybox. The user then goes to home depot, finds a bolt long enough to go through the spacers, and bolts down a seat plate or couple of pieces of 1-1/4" 6061 angle aluminum. Then you can put whatever you want below and between the seat if you want to go with a DRE type flip seat setup or elevate the seat a few inches if they have some huge tubes on their boat ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
if you make the seat bracket a fixed length I would make it such that the two tubes are far enough to put an ammo can/ eco-safe toilet lengthwise between them. or about 17" plus some length for the handles. Typical seat is going to be about 20" wide, plus 12" for two rocket boxes gives you 32" wide at the base of the frame if r/b are right up against the seat.

the approx 20" pipe - pipe center distance gives you plenty of room to slide the seat back/forward for adjustment depending on the user. I was assuming you'd have a slot in the bottom for the seat bolt/washers to slide in ...

the beauty of this is that the two crossbars (which can use lopros at the ends or your double rail bracket) will support the rowers weight and there is less flex than a single seat plate and less likely for the drill holes to ovalize and loosen up from the rowing torque. Also the rear tube (assuming far enough behind the seat back) gets to be used for cooler or drybox support so net amt of pipe is the same.

here is something to think about ... make your seat mounts be four identical pieces that u-bolt to the frame crossbars. Each seat mount is two piece construction with a hinge between them so they can pivot. You use simple 1/4" breakdown pins for the hinge. This allows you to remove two pins and you can flip the seat over. ... now you also sell spacers (which are like 2" thick cylindrical aluminum spacers (with bolt clearance hole in the middle of them). The user buys as many spacers as they need to clear their cooler or drybox. The user then goes to home depot, finds a bolt long enough to go through the spacers, and bolts down a seat plate or couple of pieces of 1-1/4" 6061 angle aluminum. Then you can put whatever you want below and between the seat if you want to go with a DRE type flip seat setup or elevate the seat a few inches if they have some huge tubes on their boat ...

There are some really cool ideas here- let me process this for a bit and get back-

I mostly wanted to inform folks that I finally have parts in hand, and some new pics of the oar towers up on the site.

There are more on the frame fitting page, just follow the link in my signature and scroll to the bottom.
Old 04-04-2010   #8

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Another idea for a lopro type fitting - a fitting that goes on NRS pipe but necks down to a smaller diameter pipe. I thought it might be useful for foot braces (the NRS foot brace is a clunker) and other applications (raft cockpit floors, foot rests fro cat passengers,...) that don't require as much strength.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #9

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I might be interested in a couple of lopros depending on price. The neckdown fitting is a great idea. I would take two of those right away. Basically a lopro with a stub that fits 1inch pipe would be perfect. Any progress on the b type oarstand? And what colors are available?
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #10

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Paddling Since: 2002
I went down to check out the gear last wednesday and was extremely impressed!!! Everything is stout and light. I'd recommend these for anyone looking at a frame. I plan on using all this gear for my next frame.
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, frame, frames, machined, raft