Are paddlers here excited about the Jackson Fun Runner? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Commercial Posts

Old 11-14-2011   #1

Are paddlers here excited about the Jackson Fun Runner?

Fun Runner Jackson Kayak – Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks

Looks like a great boat. Any input from the general paddling public?

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Looks like eric's second shot at the "godzilla"

Whats up with all the retro boats coming back? I guess you really can polish a turd.

Sorry No more polished turds for me please. I got rid of that sh!t in the 90's.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Finally some competition for the Wavesport Z!
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
We expect the crowd that fell in love with the original fun series, (which by the way was a lot of people), will really enjoy this design. The Fun series was always meant to be our River/Play series. The fact is, the Fun series got more and more play oriented through the design cycles,and is exactly why we are taking the Fun Runner design back a bit towards true river running.
This boat is actually pretty damn cool... well if you aren't such the freestyle stud that Josh is anyway! Ha...
There are a LOT of people that want a kayak that is super fun to just paddle down river. Not something big/bulky, but something nimble, super fast, and rather fun to surf with. I may be the worlds worst full-on freestyle paddler, but I am the king of the front surf, flat spin type playboating. For that reason I will be paddling the heck out of this boat. Well, once my shoulder gets back to shape after surgery!!!
It surfs damn near a ripple, it's loaded up with our new 2012 outfitting, and it's REALLY LIGHT. This design is very much for the crowd that paddled and loved the earlier fun series (04 and 07 especially), but were also really more into the river running as opposed to the freestyle side of things. The stability is crazy solid, the edge carving is stellar and bottom line, it rolls like a Jackson... EASY as it gets.
The Fun Runner is not a core design for the likes of those competing for instance, this is for those that want to become way more confident with down river paddling, improving their surfing skills, attaining eddies, cartwheeling. AND, to do it in a modern design with a modern day planing hull with chine that is designed to not get hung up, with outfitting that is super light and easy to fit perfectly with minor adjustments.
Is this the right boat for you Josh? Hard to say, but it also might be the perfect boat for someone that mostly creek boats, but wants something a bit more playful when running the numbers, or even gore for that matter!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You got me all wrong Marty! I like longer boats like the Wavesport Z. I just think it is funny that people on Mountainbuzz dismiss those older longer designs as useless (like when anyone asks about buying a used one) and then Jackson comes out with a boat that looks alot like what I was paddling 10 years ago.

It probably wouldn't hurt for newbies to paddle a boat with some hull speed; and I'll be more than happy to run your demo into some rocks some time.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
I'm thinking Grand Canyon boat!

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Its good to see Jackson filling the river runner niche.

Seems like many of the "river runner" boats are either closer to a creekboat or a playboat. I can see why some folks would like a good river runner.

Perhaps kayak designs come full circle back to fundamental designs of the past, but new advancements in outfitting, hull design, edges, and decks will likely make new boats superior to the similar looking boats of yesterday.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I was listening to one of the last "In Between Swims" podcasts where they had people from a few different kayak manufacturers talking about the future of boat designs. EJ walked in late after much of the discussion had already taken place.

Woody from LL at some point tried to summarize his thoughts and says something like, "So basically, all the designs and materials have really already been thought of and we're just kind of making small tweaks here and there to what already exists." EJ seemed shocked by this statement and his reaction was something like, "no way, there are so many new ideas to try we're only limited by time." Disclaimer: I'm strongly paraphrasing here based on my memory. Point is, there was a major difference in attitude. I'm not trying to bash Woody - in fact I've owned more LL boats than Jackson boats, but definitely appreciated EJ's attitude.

Seems to me that boats like this are part of trying out new ideas that allow more people to find their ideal boat.

To answer the original question (aka CKS commercial) though, my first boat was an X. It was a good first boat, but I'm not excited about buying another one. Then again, I've never run the Grand Canyon.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #9
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
There is no amount of hype that Jackson can through down that would lead me to believe that the Fun Runner is a new idea, a new design, or more fun to kayak than any other existing kayaking product on the market. Jackson creates some wicked boats and crazy hype. In the world of "show boating" jackson rules. LL is close behind!
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #10

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Idaho... this isn't a "new idea" and not sure anyone is claiming that. To be quite honest, it's far from a new idea in my opinion. What we feel it does do, is provides a modern solution to a huge part of the market that frankly... we have grown away from in our last several years designs. This design in concept is low volume river runner that is focused on big time fun. That said, what is "New" is a boat of this type, that has Jackson Kayak's 2012 outfitting and our touches to things like, super stable, incredibly easy to roll design, drop chines that don't get hung up, not to mention SUPER light and packages it for people that want the best in a modern day river runner...
I appreciate the nod for hype and cool boats. I assure you this one may change your mind as well. Give it a try sometime, you might be surprised. I certainly was!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote