2010 is officially "the year to get your kids kayaking" by Jackson kayak - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Commercial Posts

Old 02-04-2010   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
2010 is officially "the year to get your kids kayaking" by Jackson kayak

Not sure if any of you have heard, but EJ is fired up to get more kids on the water this year. He's calling it the "Year to get your kids into paddling."

In order to show JK's commitment to it, he is tossing in a price that is hard to beat, $499.00. It's for Sidekicks and Shooting Stars only and gives parents the option of a river runner or a full on free style machine for those that are already into it. The pricing will be in place till the end of April. 2010 is the year to get your kids paddling.... Fire it up.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Cool, looks like my daughter's getting a kayak sooner than planned.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #3

Berthoud, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Hey Marty, Does that mean I started my kids a year too early? Can I get a Villan for this price since I am really just a big kid?
kparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010   #4

That is classic Kevin... HA!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Old 02-05-2010   #5

In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Marty,

I'm not familiar with the kids boats (I don't have kids), but I'm interested in talking my Dad into buying a boat for my little-bro so he doesn't have to paddle my old Redline and he can get the stoke going this year. Is the side-kick basically just a kiddie-version Hero?
kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
What is a good age to start the kids paddling?
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #7

Arkansas... Yes the Sidekick is the kids size of the Hero series. Most Hero's have a sidekick don't they? This is a higher volume super stable, but even easier to roll (when the time is right to learn) kayak. The Shooting Star is a freestyle kayak for kids that will take any small person to the podium...

Kazak... Good question. Many answers to this one. We've seen a huge jump in kids as young as 5, but it appears that 6-7 is when kids really start to get the motor skills required to paddle correctly. Every kid is different, but one thing I can promise you is that not unlike any other sport, the level of development that occurs when you start paddling as a child is off the charts of what one will become if they start at 20 or so...
Old 02-05-2010   #8

Berthoud, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Hey Marty, All joking aside I think EJ and Jackson Kayaks have really stepped up and done a heck of a job supporting kids and beginners alike to get them started kayaking. This includes supporting local kids clubs like the Lyons Jr. Kayak club, where both my kids started in Jackson boats supplied by you guys. I have also been super impressed with the attitude of the Jackson team paddlers when we have had the oppoutunity to meet them. Everyone with the company is always super friendly and helpful even to beginners asking dumb questions. Keep up the good work guys.
kparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #9

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
age and boat discription

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
What is a good age to start the kids paddling?
Age? Now!

As Warren Miller says, "If you don't do it this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do."

Frankly, I believe in paddling a toddler in your lap on a lake (of course, with them wearing a pfd). I suggest starting kids in a Fun 1 in the pool as early as two or three. Enroll them in kids kayak camps like RMOC (Rocky Mtn Outdoor Center, Salida, CO) or others by age 7. Buy your kids their own Sidekick as early a 8 to 10 and get them on class I and II/+. They'll probably fit it until age 14 or more. Which, they will have probably attained solid and enthusiastic class III/+ status by then. After they outgrow a Sidekick get them a Little Hero or Punk Rocker (or hopefully they make a Villain that size).

If a park and play spot is handy and inviting to you, a Shooting Star or Star could be boat two in a quiver. But, buy them a Sidekick for sure and get them into river running. They'll love you and have a life sport that they'll love river trips and you for.

The Sidekick is the hot ticket for kids. It has a high-performance hull and yet is super stable and forgiving. The high and balanced volume distribution, tall and flared sidewalls, and super adjustable and comfortable outfitting is the perfect design for kids to learn and enjoy river running. It is easy to roll and has excellent primary and secondary stability.

If you have a play park with small and safe wave and hole features, and you enjoy hanging out in those typical downtown locations, then a Shooting Star is definetly the beginner rodeo star boat of choice. They can enjoy class I and II as well. However, the hull on the Sidekick is so awesome for carving up waves also that it can be the one boat that kids learn the sport, develope grace, and discover working with and enjoying the rivers. It promotes everything outside of doing tricks. It invites kids to appreciate rivers and develope their River Sense. In my opinion, finding their place and understanding the beauty of the world.

And ... one day the kids will be old enough to drive so that you not only have ready made boating partners, but they can help place the suttle too.

Cheers!
Ken
Old 02-05-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Riley was paddling my boat around on flat water since 2 or 3. He got his fun one at 4 and learned to roll it at 7, along with his first first decent along with self inspired wood cleaning mission.

I totally agree with ken's post. Riley only has a fun 1, but I would have gotten him the side kick instead if it were out 4 years ago.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking