Yampa late September ducky trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2018   #1

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yampa late September ducky trip

Anyone interested in doing a Yampa trip late September or early October? Really low right now, but it may come up to 200-300 cfs in a few weeks. I would take a double ducky. Anyone know if the River Office will extend trip length for low flow? Thanks!

markinsteamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018   #2

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by markinsteamboat View Post
Anyone interested in doing a Yampa trip late September or early October? Really low right now, but it may come up to 200-300 cfs in a few weeks. I would take a double ducky. Anyone know if the River Office will extend trip length for low flow? Thanks!
If you're talking about the DNM section, I'd be all over it and currently have 10/4 - 10/8 off. My only reservation is, I paddle a packraft and last I have been told they do not allow packrafts on that section.
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018   #3

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yeah, that would make sense, as they seem to want multi chambered inflatables. Can you get ahold of a ducky?
markinsteamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018   #4

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
packraft are approved with other support boats (i.e. duckies) with them

https://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvis...nformation.pdf

specifically:
Packraft
A boat for one person that is small, light, and portable, made of highly durable
material, and built for whitewater. A packraft is considered a “small craft.”
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018   #5

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by markinsteamboat View Post
Yeah, that would make sense, as they seem to want multi chambered inflatables. Can you get ahold of a ducky?
According to the website they allow packrafts along with larger support rafts, because they are single chamber. I'd love to talk to someone from their office because not all packrafts are single chamber, in fact mine can be a single chamber or triple chamber boat. Either way, I'd still be down to attempt it and see if they would be willing to listen to my reasoning. Have Oct 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th off if those dates work for you.
Old 09-05-2018   #6

Englewood, Colorado
DNM will allow packrafts, but they don't seem very enthusiastic about. My group was planning a Yampa Canyon trip this year, but aborted when the flow went below 150cfs. Call the DNM River Office and ask for details, esp from Mark Wilson. Be sure to pin down details on equipment. My understanding is they will allow internal, inflatable stuff sacks (ie Alpaca bags) to act as separate chambers. Good luck, would love to hear how it goes,

-Tom
Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018   #7

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pierce View Post
DNM will allow packrafts, but they don't seem very enthusiastic about. My group was planning a Yampa Canyon trip this year, but aborted when the flow went below 150cfs. Call the DNM River Office and ask for details, esp from Mark Wilson. Be sure to pin down details on equipment. My understanding is they will allow internal, inflatable stuff sacks (ie Alpaca bags) to act as separate chambers. Good luck, would love to hear how it goes,

-Tom
Thanks for the info Tom
Old 09-05-2018   #8

steamboat springs, Colorado
I did a solo unsupported trip in Dino NM with a packraft this spring and had no problem getting a permit from the river office. Just play nice, don't push your luck, and be clear about your equipment and itinerary. Dinosaur has progressed far when it comes to packrafts, and we want them to keep doing so.

While some of the concerns regarding adding more pressure to the Yampa via Packrafts are legitimate, many crowded rivers (best example being the Colorado in GCNP) have crafted policies that are based in logic and not fear and allow for unsupported trips and shorter trips that the full traditional permitted stretches. Dinosaur NM should be able to do the same, but it's going to take time. Old habits and prejudices die hard.

Ideally, NPS can develop policy that allows unsupported packraft trips, and from put in and take out locations other than Deerlodge to Split Mtn. If NPS needed to limit that type of use to lower use season (i.e. after water drops below a certain level, or after say, July 1st or something), that'd make sense to me. But requiring that packrafts be supported by larger rafts is pretty antiquated and illogical.

Anyway, the River Office communicates well and will hear you out. And hopefully we can get an official change in the policy soon.
3d3vart is online now   Reply With Quote