Western CO Playboating Tomorrow - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Western CO Playboating Tomorrow

Anybody want to hit up Big Sur, Glenwood Whitewater Park, or Montrose, tomorrow around mid-day? I need to leave from Grand Junction at 10 am or later and be back by 5:30 pm.

surlygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlygold View Post
Anybody want to hit up Big Sur, Glenwood Whitewater Park, or Montrose, tomorrow around mid-day? I need to leave from Grand Junction at 10 am or later and be back by 5:30 pm.

Stopped by Big Sur this AM. Not quite in, no one there.

Went to Montrose a few days ago. Big, dynamic, fun.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
I've enjoyed riding Big Sur at this level a couple of times this year, but I'm definitely concerned that it will drop further. I'd also be down for Montrose tomorrow; I was just hopeful to hit Big Sur one more time or the Glenwood wave before they drop. Interested in doing Montrose, tomorrow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
I've enjoyed riding Big Sur at this level a couple of times this year, but I'm definitely concerned that it will drop further. I'd also be down for Montrose tomorrow; I was just hopeful to hit Big Sur one more time or the Glenwood wave before they drop. Interested in doing Montrose, tomorrow?

I've been on Big Sur down to 17k and had it be worth going, but beyond the flow # it's also dependent on what's happening at the roller dam just downstream. IMO not enough water is being pushed through there, thus the river has slowed, thus the waves aren't fully formed.

My reasoning for why might not be sound, but take also the evidence that NO ONE was there on a sunny sunday morning. It wasn't really doable unless you had a loooooong sup, or old school fast glass boat.

Can't go to Montrose tomorrow, sorry.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
I did it twice within the last 10 days between 19k and 20k in my rpm, and it was great. There were people out there with SUPs, standard longboards, and even pretty short river surfboards. I didn't see any playboats, but I did see some shorter kayaks than mine. I am doubtful about the first wave for a playboat, but one might be able to use it on the third wave. Unfortunately, it has been hard for me to get people to try it out, and I've spent quite a bit of time waiting for some company.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
I did it twice within the last 10 days between 19k and 20k in my rpm, and it was great. There were people out there with SUPs, standard longboards, and even pretty short river surfboards. I didn't see any playboats, but I did see some shorter kayaks than mine. I am doubtful about the first wave for a playboat, but one might be able to use it on the third wave. Unfortunately, it has been hard for me to get people to try it out, and I've spent quite a bit of time waiting for some company.

21k and holding right now. Cooler weather inbound tho.