Taos area weekend of 5/19 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-13-2019   #1

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Taos area weekend of 5/19

Hey there! I am headed down to the Taos area this Thursday, May 16th, and leaving sunday, May 19th. I have a minimax and some surfboards with me and would love to get out on racetrack or lower box. I'm a competent and a very safety oriented paddler. I do not have extra gear besides my own, but would love to link up with someone. I have never run the Rio anywhere but am dying to get out there. Also, any beta on surf waves in the area is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hit the Meat!!

dmateer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmateer1 View Post
Hey there! I am headed down to the Taos area this Thursday, May 16th, and leaving sunday, May 19th. I have a minimax and some surfboards with me and would love to get out on racetrack or lower box. I'm a competent and a very safety oriented paddler. I do not have extra gear besides my own, but would love to link up with someone. I have never run the Rio anywhere but am dying to get out there. Also, any beta on surf waves in the area is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hit the Meat!!
I would like to get down there this weekend, but wouldn't count on it.... There is one surf wave in particular that you will want to spend a little time at. It's referred to as "Sleeping Beauty" and is 3/4 of the way through the Racecourse (Pilar) run and is roadside. My suggestion would be to drive the run and pull over and look at all the rapids. Then hang out at Quartzite and introduce yourself to folks. There will be other paddlers. Then try to hook up with these folks for the lower box.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote