surf waves/hikes_cataract canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2017   #1

missoula, montana
Paddling Since: 1990
surf waves/hikes_cataract canyon

Hola,

I am planning a cataract canyon trip on April 1-9 this spring.

We have some kayaks with us and want to plan some good surfing spots for them. Does anyone know of good surf waves/holes (preferably by a camp) that we should keep an eye out for?

We are also looking to take some lengthy hikes and it would be great to hear recommendations on that too.

Thanks!

sean_d_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017   #2

Great beach camp at #10. Pretty good wave to get on as well. Best camping for hiking will be up around brown betty which should get good access to the doll house.
brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Which side are you floating in on? I wish i could give you more Beta on hikes, but I have not gotten to explore as much down there as I would like, just never seem to have enough time!
The Green is known for tons of side canyon hikes, I have done Fort bottom, some of our party said Anderson was super cool, the Doll house is a classic, keep an eye out for all the little fossils on the way up. I like camping bellow brown betty on the right, so you can have space from all the canoeists jet boating out, might as well save that camp for them anyway. Did Indian Creek on the CO side years ago and was a cool hike.
I think there are a lot of cool things to explore down there, above and bellow the confluence, always wish I had more hiking time when I'm down there.

Have fun and be safe, water may be on the rise if the weather does warm up some of this winters awesome snow pack!

-Matt
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017   #4

alta, Utah
at the present water level, there is good camp-surf at 9.5 cent camp..river right above 10 cent camp. nice camp too.

BA
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #5

Durango, Colorado
Best surf at levels of 6000-10000ish are at Rapid 10 with a great beach camps upstream and downstream. You'll probably have more flow than this though, in which case the wave starts to flush. X-Y Canyons are just upstream and across the river which are good hikes. Other surf will be mainly on the fly. There's another good ledge wave to surf somewhere around rapid 18 or so. One of the very last rapids before the lake has a long wavetrain into a sweet on the fly wave.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Those rapids right before the lake are awesome And brand new, as far as any of us are concerned!
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017   #7

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpaddlejon View Post
Great beach camp at #10. Pretty good wave to get on as well. Best camping for hiking will be up around brown betty which should get good access to the doll house.
#5 also has a good hike up to "Surprise Valley" and access to the doll's house and a granary if you can find the route.

If the sediment situation at the mouth allows, Dark Canyon is a standard fare hike for the last day with some potholes for swimming and jumping. Other interesting stuff in Dark Canyon worth finding as well.

Some less trodden hikes include Red Lake Canyon, Cross and Y canyons, Gypsum Canyon and Clearwater Canyon.

If you can find a copy of the Michael Kelsey Canyonlands River Guide (not Belknap), it covers damn near everything.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract, cataract canyon