Self supporting your poop.... - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2018   #11

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I've had good luck using a 1 gal screw top plastic "pickle jar". I've gotten powdered sports drink in them, a massage therapist friend gets massage oil in them, and I've seen them in brewing supply stores for holding malt extract. They are good for about 6-7 person-days. They are a lot easier to clean out if you don't fill them to the br1m, though.

paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018   #12

Wenatchee, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by landslide View Post

Also, I find that using compostable dog poo bags works WAY better than using wag bags. (Just poo on the sand, pick it up in a dog poo bag, tie it off, then put the bag in your poo tube.) This keeps the stink and mess and clean up down to the bare minimum.
Not super cool to poop on the sand. You should be doing it onto something then into a bag or whatever.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018   #13

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
This is a fair concern, so let me clarify: I usually hike out of camp and once I am far away from where anyone would ever pitch a tent or even set a chair, I use my boot to scuff out a spot of bare ground or sand. If the spot I cleared is free of twigs or rocks or vegetation, it's very easy to make sure I don't leave even a tiny speck of poo on the ground.

And if I suspect I might have a wet poo on the way, I simply put down a couple sheets of Kleenex or paper towels first and that acts to absorb any extra moisture. But usually that's not necessary.

Finally, after picking up all waste (including TP) in a dog poo bag, I scuff some loose sand or forest duff back over the cleared spot.

I can't speak for other self-support kayakers, but I am confident that what I do is just as sanitary and LNT as anyone using a traditional groover.
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote