Rapids between Carey Creek and Spring Bar on the Main Salmon - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 06-25-2012   #1

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Rapids between Carey Creek and Spring Bar on the Main Salmon

Hey buzzards.....help me remember. Are there any major rapids between Carey Creek and Spring Bar? It's been a lot of years since I floated beyond Carey Creek. I seem to recall Ruby and Lake Creek rapids but can't recall if they are before or after Spring Bar? If they are before Spring Bar, what class are they?
Thanks buzzards. Getting old sucks.....memory starts to fade.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012   #2

moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1988
Nothing other than Vinegar. Spring Bar is the put-in for running lake and Ruby and into Riggins.

Great BLM website for Salmon River from Vinegar Cr to Heller Bar.
Lower Salmon River
Whipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #3

Sandy, Utah
Thanks. That's what I thought, but I just wasn't sure of my memory. Thanks for the BLM website. The map was quite helpful. Looks like there are two class II rapids right before Spring Bar.....Kelly Creek and Van Creek? Looks like smooth sailing after Vinegar and Carey Falls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012   #4

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Both Vinegar and Carey Falls are above the Carey Creek boat ramp. Go to the end of the road 3 miles up to the Vinegar Creek Boat ramp if you would like to run them both.
IdahoGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #5

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoGold View Post
Both Vinegar and Carey Falls are above the Carey Creek boat ramp. Go to the end of the road 3 miles up to the Vinegar Creek Boat ramp if you would like to run them both.
We are doing a Main Salmon trip and taking out at Spring Bar instead of our usual Carey Creek take out. We've never taken out at the Vinegar ramp, so we always have the pleasure of running Vinegar and Carey Falls. I'm just making sure my memory is correct, and there are no major rapids between Carey Creek and Spring Bar. Looks like my memory is intact and there are no major rapids as I had remembered.