Oregon and Washington - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-09-2009   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Oregon and Washington

I am heading up to Oregon and Washing in a week to do some paddling with a shredder...I have been looking at different rivers to run and it looks like we will probably base out of Hood River (like most boating trips up there). I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on must doe's while we are up there (does not have to be boating related...we are also bringing backpacking gear). It will be my first time to the PNW and am interested in checking out all that I can...it seems like a great place

teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleboater5.13 View Post
I am heading up to Oregon and Washing in a week to do some paddling with a shredder...I have been looking at different rivers to run and it looks like we will probably base out of Hood River (like most boating trips up there). I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on must doe's while we are up there (does not have to be boating related...we are also bringing backpacking gear). It will be my first time to the PNW and am interested in checking out all that I can...it seems like a great place

Take a hike up Eagle Creek, and if you are a class five boater, bring your boat. It is one of the most amazing canyons anywhere, beyond words, you can actually make a few day backpacking trip out of it, bring Gore-Tex. The West fork of the Hood River is actually a pretty fun run, The Green Truss of course, overnighters on the Deschutes, The Little White Salmon, Canyon Creek, Hike to the top of Beacon Rock and Dog Mountain. Go buy some beads from my mom at Ikote.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Wind river and Green Truss get my votes
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
A couple of us from Fort Collins are leaving for Oregon and Washington this Friday, and will be there the whole next week. When were you planning on getting out there?
Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
check out the yahoo groups pdx and wrrr, lots of very friendly folks up there that will share info, and possibly even take you down something.
Old 03-10-2009   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Water is pretty low right now

The Wind it in... White Salmon (Farmlands, Truss and Middle sections) is in... Not certain about the Little White (haven't heard of anyone heading up to hit it)... Hood is out unless we get some rain this week... Deschutes is an option (it's pretty much always in)... Klickitat would be okay, if it holds... Washougal is in, but on the low side of runnable.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Soggy Sneakers, it should give you all the beta you need... you can check flows here:

PDXkayaker.org- Playground Conditions

Have a good trip!

jim
Old 03-10-2009   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Becky

We are leaving probably Thurs afternoon and then will spend the night in Boise and finish the drive on Fri. Not sure where we are going to be yet...we might spend a couple of days running out of Hood River or we might do a multiday on the Metolius River. Either way we will be in the area for 3 or 4 days before heading up to Bellingham, WA. You guys are basing out of Hood River right?? Do you guys have a plan on what you are running, or just going to see what is in when you are up there? We would definatly be interested in meeting up and running something with yall.
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #8

redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1999
Cougar hotsprings on the Wind river on the Washington side is good place to wind down afer playing all day.
eladio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Jon,

Call Tater. He worked the White Salmon some last year and will have some beta for you. Will you be at Fleishio's tomorrow night?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #10

Anytown, USA, Todo el pais.
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by eladio View Post
Cougar hotsprings on the Wind river on the Washington side is good place to wind down afer playing all day.

Cougar (Terwilliger) Hot Springs is on the Cougar Reservoir ~ Blue River, OR in the McKenzie River Valley...

Wind River Hotsprings is called 'Wind River Hotsprings'
ruderalis is offline   Reply With Quote