Late notice hail mary: NF American River Chamberlain Falls / Giant Gap this weekend? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Idaho kayakers visiting California rivers ... Giant Gap / Chamberlain Falls

Hello buzzards ...

In the "Turnabout is fair play" category (as it seems many river types are converging on Idaho right now) would anyone care to enlighten me if a couple kayakers from Idaho would have a positive / negative / legal reception to coming to the American river and kayaking this Memorial Day 2020 weekend?

Looking to do Chamberlain Falls and maybe Giant Gap.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

biggb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
California Goods

Won't bother to open the obvious can of worms here, that's been extensively covered in other posts, but I can report the news.

A lot of buddies have been heading down to CA for the goods in the past month. Dinkey, S. Silver, South Branch, Giant's Gap, Golden Gate, R49-Bridgeport etc. I haven't heard any negative encounters from them regarding the travel and recreation.

I also have friends from LA and the Bay Area who are currently travelling up to get on pipeline and lunch counter while the flows are up for some epic surf and they've had good luck with meeting people along the way and report similar to the guys then went down to CA.

Here in Bend, we're definitely seeing way less boater traffic right now as usually there's people from out of town trying to get on Dillon, Lava, or Meadowcamp almost daily. The gorge is also a pretty contentious place right now with so many private access points and the rural community, it's really a keep your head down and don't stop at any local establishments kind of thing.

FWIW.
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I would assume Californians would just think you're ex-Californians with new Idaho license plates based on the number of people still moving here.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the beta Nathan.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Boise, Idaho
Late notice hail mary: NF American River Chamberlain Falls / Giant Gap this weekend?

Throwing a hail mary ... any other kayakers willing to join up with 2 Idaho kayakers to do NF American Chamberlain Falls and / or Giant Gap this weekend? Fully willing to take C19 precautions. Thanks.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Sounds a bit different than Cache bar takout on the Salmon, where the locals will slash your tires.
squeaks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks2 View Post
Sounds a bit different than Cache bar takout on the Salmon, where the locals will slash your tires.

From my perspective, Salmon / Challis is a hotbed of regression.

They must like visitors tires the way they like their wolves.

I can't speak for them.

Headed to Hood River instead.

Tags
california