Joe Hutch Rapid (Deso) - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-29-2009   #1

St George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Joe Hutch Rapid (Deso)

I read that Joe Hutch flashed last Aug on the park service site.Does anyone have details?

MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have heard some second hand info from this year, but remember it will change as the water comes up. Just take a quick look and you'll be fine. If you don't hear what you want to hear from others, PM me and I will give you my second hand beta.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There's been some discussion about it around here, and on the Utahrafters Yahoo group site. No one has seen it at high water yet, but at low-mid water levels, from what I remember of the reports, there are some new rocks at the bottom that you have to miss. I'll be seeing it at high (hopefully) water levels towards the end of May. Planning on taking pics and video, which of course, I will post the first first week of June when I get back from the trip.

From what people have been saying, it's easily scouted from the right.
markdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009   #4

Summit County, Colorado
My fiance and I did Deso/Grays last year 8/30-9/6. Joe Hutch was our first rapid of the day on day 4, the day after we got engaged. We were floating in the flat water towards the scout when all of sudden we heard a terrible noise and our boat started to shake. I immediately knew we had hit something, but wasn't really sure what was going on since we were in totally flat water. We pulled over at the scout (which is great, by the way), flipped our boat over, and found a 6 foot tear from front to back on the right side. We think that because of the recent flash flood only weeks before, that something sharp was dumped into the river, upstream of the wash and rapid itself. We happened to be in just the right spot to hit it, puncture our boat, and cause it to rip all the way to the back. After 30 minutes of crying and cursing, trying to figure out how we were going to patch it, we finally came to our senses and cut up one of our Paco pads. We were on our Aire Tributary, so thankfully the Paco pad is the same material as the boat. Also, our internal bladder system was not punctured. I first stitched the rip back together, then we put the 6 foot long Paco pad patch on, and finally we took a rope and tied it to the front in the self bailing floor, then looped it around the tube, all the way to the back of the rip. It held for the rest of the trip! The rapid itself did not seem bad before the tear, but after we were definitely a little concerned. We made it through just fine, avoiding some rooster tails right at the end of the rapid. I've attached photos so you can see what it looked like last year late Aug/early Sept.
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Wow, that's crazy! Hate to see a good paco pad go like that, but good thinking on the patch. You think it was a rock, or something a little less natural?
markdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #6

Summit County, Colorado
Definitely a man-made object. It punctured first, then tore from the weight of our gear. It looked like a piece of sharp metal just poked right through the PVC. Unless it was a super sharp piece of wood or rock that hadn't been worn down by water. The Paco also had a small hole already and wasn't holding air through the night, so it was a very easy decision to cut it up. It saved us! Not sure how we would have gotten out of there if it hadn't been for the Paco.....
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #7

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Ran it last October in low water. Quick scout, no sweat. Run to the side of the tongue and dodge a few rocks at the tail. It should sort out a bit more at high water this year.

I have pics of it, but hate to spoil the fun.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #8

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
I read that Joe Hutch flashed last Aug on the park service site.Does anyone have details?
Ran Joe Hutch rapid last week. I believe the level was around 22,000 CFS. At this level, it was a solid Class IV. We ran the tongue down the left side, to avoid pour-overs in the center. Huge diagonal wave came at us from the center, so we needed to square into it. We also needed to pull away from the left side wall at the bottom. Huge waves, and lots of fun.
Mike Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote