Jarbidge / Bruneau Beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-02-2019   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Jarbidge / Bruneau Beta

Anyone have any current Jarbidge/Bruneau beta they would like to share? Thinking about trying to hit it next weekend.

Thanks.

ColoradoClimber97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019   #2

Boise, Idaho
Just did WF Bruneau to the confluence and then shuttled back up to the Jarbidge and ran through the main Bruneau. 5 days on the water. It was great. Cold, flows dropped. Only 1300ish on the Bruneau....but this trip isn't about running gnarly WW.

In terms of river beta there's nothing to tell. No surprises. Clean. We walked Grayskull and Jarbidge Falls...both of which can be run but are not without consequence if screwed up....and you're a long way out there if something goes bad.

That was my first time down the WF and it was WAY more beautiful than I had expected. WW was a solid notch up.

All in all it was a great trip. Great to have it in our back yard!

EDIT: I guess I should mention we were in kayaks.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019   #3

Vail, Colorado
Thanks ID Surfer, exactly what I was looking for. Any guess what the Jarbidge was running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019   #4

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I put on 8 days ago and we did a three day trip in kayaks with flows between 2100-2400 I think. We took a duo also so a friend could show his girlfriend down. At those flows, it was pushing pretty fast through the Jarbidge but as long as kept your eyes open, just continuous class 2-4 whitewater in most places. HUGE lake above Castle GreySkull so that will be obvious. Jarbidge Falls is less obvious but has a rather large rock, "House Rock" at the entrance so try to be very cautious as you approach this. I found the whitewater in the miles above Jarbidge Falls to be some of the most difficult on the run.
After the confluence with the West Fork Bruneau, the pace of our trip slowed down dramatically. There was some whitewater in these miles but just fun stuff.
Five Mile Rapids and Wild Burro were moderately exciting at the higher flows. We camped almost exactly 13 miles into the run on the right, but saw an epic campsite 1-2 miles downstream on the right also. We also camped at an awesome spot just downstream of the confluence with Sheep Creek and hiked into a cave above our camp.

As you probably know, this is an absolutely amazing trip and I would just recommend giving yourself plenty of time to travel through there.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019   #5

Vail, Colorado
Thanks Favre. It looks like it's going to warm up a little next week and bump the flows as well. I ran it 20 years ago, so doing it next week will be like my first time all over again. Stoked!
Old 05-19-2019   #6

Reno / Tahoe, Nevada
Has anyone driven the Indian Hot Springs Rd this year?

Recommended Shuttle Service?

Thanks in Advance!
coronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019   #7

Vail, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronan View Post

Thanks in Advance!
We put in on the Jarbidge so didn't drive the Indian Hot Springs road, but our shuttle guy - Chuck with Barker River Expeditions - was making runs down to the Hot Springs. Give Deb a call and she will hook you up. 208.836.5801
Old 05-20-2019   #8

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I have been down a few times recently. Barker runs shuttles down to the hot springs. There's another guy named Robbie that will hire out shuttles in his truck. He's a private guy that grew up close to there. You can call Jumbo's and they can usually find someone to ride with you in your rig and drive it out. There's been some road work that seems nice if it's dry. If it's wet, you will either need good mud tires or chains and expect it to be a long drive. I mean much stickier/slimier than in the past and the road is crowned into some deep ditches.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019   #9

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronan View Post

Thanks in Advance!
I drove in there two weeks ago. The road is currently in pretty bad shape. Earlier this year some one took a piece of heavy equipment part way in, towing a water tank out to a grazing lease, and tore the road up badly.

The last section of road that drops down into the canyon, aka the Bruneau Cherrystem, was also in pretty bad shape compared to previous years. The heavy ATV traffic the road gets has exposed lots of new bed rock and boulders. I had to use diff lock to get back out. It took 4 hours each way from the town of Bruneau.

It has been raining non-stop in the area for the last week or so, which means it's going to be a horrible mud bog to get into IHS. You're better off floating all the way out the Bruneau IMO.
Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019   #10

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I used Jumbo once. The driver he got me did some body damage to my truck and Jumbo just laughed at me when I asked him about it. Never again.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote