Interest in Middle Fork of the Salmon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-02-2019   #1

Interest in Middle Fork of the Salmon?

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. I joined because I recently won a lottery for the middle fork of the salmon river. The put in date is May 28th. This is a 100 mile stretch of river with rapids up to class 4, the flows should be very high in late may. Unfortunately I have been unable to get a friend with a raft to join me, and I only have one other friend with a kayak who may join, contingent on me able to recruit more people. If anyone is interested in running this stretch of river please get in touch with me. If I cannot recruit enough experienced kayakers, and hopefully get a raft, I will be returning this lottery permit.

Best,
Brian

busta3396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019   #2

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Are you interested in kayaking with a number of rafters? None of us won the permit for this stretch. If you have an interest, I can talk with my crew and see what their thoughts are. Just putting it out there!

Thanks.
ckops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
May 28 is preseason, Isn't it?

Sorry, just looked. First day of permit season. Gonna be smokin' high water!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I am betting you are getting a fair number of PMs.

If not I would maybe post a little bit more about yourself and buddy regarding river experience and multiday trips. May 28th most likely will be high water, or still early enough to be moderate but sitting on a time bomb. I have seen it at 5 1/2 feet which isn't that high but that was still pretty decent water. A trip heading down at that time needs to be pretty dialed as any flips or swims can get pretty drawn out. I would make sure you are honest about yourself and vet those offering to join. Your best bet would be to have an experienced crew fill out your permit that would be willing to run it at that time of year.

That said, one of the best trips out there so hopefully you can make it happen. Might have to go double check my PTO numbers and see what my buddies are up to since we all got skunked as well
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
That is early enough that the road to boundary being open is a real concern. If you end up being kayak self support, running in on Marsh is fairly manageable, but rafts on Marsh must have their shit dialed. Iíve got an early permit two weeks ahead of that, and the weather the last month since I picked up that permit has got me wondering if it will be doable. All depends on April and May weather. Good luck putting a crew together. Those early trips sound good, but it seems a lot of trips fall apart because people get cold feet. Early season MFS is not for everyone.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #6

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyosam View Post
That is early enough that the road to boundary being open is a real concern. If you end up being kayak self support, running in on Marsh is fairly manageable, but rafts on Marsh must have their shit dialed. Iíve got an early permit two weeks ahead of that, and the weather the last month since I picked up that permit has got me wondering if it will be doable. All depends on April and May weather. Good luck putting a crew together. Those early trips sound good, but it seems a lot of trips fall apart because people get cold feet. Early season MFS is not for everyone.

When is your permit date? I'm in a group that has a May 11th and a May 26th permit lined up. Everything is still totally up in the air and totally dependent on the snowpack and when the weather between now and then. So many variables! The 11th is almost for a guarantee Marsh launch, and the 26th is questionable.
IDriverRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Mine is the 13th, so almost certainly Marsh.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #8

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by busta3396 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. I joined because I recently won a lottery for the middle fork of the salmon river. The put in date is May 28th. This is a 100 mile stretch of river with rapids up to class 4, the flows should be very high in late may. Unfortunately I have been unable to get a friend with a raft to join me, and I only have one other friend with a kayak who may join, contingent on me able to recruit more people. If anyone is interested in running this stretch of river please get in touch with me. If I cannot recruit enough experienced kayakers, and hopefully get a raft, I will be returning this lottery permit.

Best,
Brian

No one calling troll yet? I may be wrong, it has happened before but this one smells like the Aug 24th one, just a bit fishy, fishy .....
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshutt View Post
No one calling troll yet? I may be wrong, it has happened before but this one smells like the Aug 24th one, just a bit fishy, fishy .....
I checked his IP address and it says he's from back up northeast - so I'll lay money he doesn't know anyone with the kind of oar rigs he needs for Western multi-day trip,much less folks ready to run MFS at high water. My guess is the OP didn't realize what he was getting into with an entry on the first day of permit season & wasn't aware the road to Boundary may not be open for another week or two after his launch date. I also bet he didn't know he'd either be going for the hairball experience with Marsh Creek running game-on ripping if it's warmed up, or if it's still cold he & his buds could be portaging gearpigs around Dagger in 6 inches of new snow.

Seems legit to me. If you've got any evidence otherwise, PM me with it.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #10

Hey guys, thanks for all the interest and replies. I noticed that there was already some suspicion that I was a troll. This is not the case. I live in Denver, CO. I am not a very experienced white water kayaker, I am originally from southern California, I have years of free diving and ocean kayaking experience, so I feel comfortable with water, but I understand white water rivers is a different animal. I have one season of white water kayaking in me, I have done some rafting, but I I would say class 4 max, maybe not even that. So in short I have plenty of experience in water, but I would not call myself an experienced white water kayaker.

But I have to mention first, a day after posting this thread I got a message from a friend who is interested in joining and has other friends who are interested with rafts etc. So for now I have to put this on hold, if that falls through then I will return to this forum to try to get interest. So I repeat, for now I am putting this call for interested people on hold. Once again, thank you all for your interest and sharing some of that information.

Best,
Brian
busta3396 is offline   Reply With Quote